Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

SanWu 1 watt 520 nm Multimode-18650 Protected-too long-resolution

A great product indeed! Working nicely.
This is really a heads up for anyone having issues with switching modes on the Challenger 2. Luckily SanWu has excellent Customer service.
Thanks Francis!

Li ion batteries- no prior exposure.
I learned that the Lithium ion batteries are named by diameter and length- with the second set of numbers being the length in millimeters. So an
18650 is 18 mm in diameter and 650 mm long.

Except when they are not!

First the are 18650' that are protected-and are longer than standard 18650 *while still being labeled as 18650.*
But not only that- but there are variations in the length of different brands of Protected 18650 batteries.
That last is relevant because although I bought high quality Nitecore Protected 18650 batteries-I had odd issues with my Challenger II not igniting all the time-and the multimode switching was not working. Slightly unscrewing the tailcap/switch helped.

Francis at SanWu gave me a link to Orbitronic and I bought some of their version of the protected 18650. Now I can switch from 1mW, to half and full power!
The Nitecore Protected 18650 was a few mm longer than the Orbitronic Protected 18650 which pushed in the power switch slightly when the tail cap was fully tightened. This disables the switching of modes since it requires pulsed off/on sequences

I'm guessing that there is no exact length standard because common devices use a spring which can adjust for variation in length.

Gazen

Glad that you found a fix for your challenger. Unfortunately all protected batteries I've encountered have been different lengths, as the protection circuit takes up some space in addition to the standard battery.

Thanks Gazen,

So I learned! Just luck of the draw that the Nitecore was a few mm too long.
I did research to get quality batteries (originally had UltraFire and something called Garberial) but did not find anything relating to the correct brand of Protected 18650 for the Challenger 2. Maybe I can save someone else the trouble.
The "18650 Garberiel 5000 mAH" came with my 303. Not protected-so it really is 650 mm long.

Glad that you found a fix for your challenger. Unfortunately all protected batteries I've encountered have been different lengths, as the protection circuit takes up some space in addition to the standard battery.

I have protected 26650 cells from orbtronic in one of my 1 watt+ jetlaser 520 nm hosts.
I cannot tighten the cap all the way. (without crushing them) I have a 3 watt 465nm coming from jet soon so
I went with the shorter unprotected 26650 cells.
Some hosts have more leeway than others for cell height. Know your host and find the cell length spec to avoid
fitment issues! Cell lengths do vary!!!

So I've discovered! So now I have Unprotected 18650, and two versions of Protected 18650 as well as 18340 and 18350. So I SHOULD be good when the 505 Waterproof arrives-one of those types should work!
I have protected 26650 cells from orbtronic in one of my 1 watt+ jetlaser 520 nm hosts.
I cannot tighten the cap all the way. (without crushing them) I have a 3 watt 465nm coming from jet soon so
I went with the shorter unprotected 26650 cells.
Some hosts have more leeway than others for cell height. Know your host and find the cell length spec to avoid
fitment issues! Cell lengths do vary!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7176.jpg
    IMG_7176.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5
Huh. Never saw a Gaberial cell until now. Looks like any other xxxfire battery with the 5000 mAh claim of capacity. Ridiculous!

It came with a Laser 303. Very exciting! They also sell 6000 mAh 18650's. Amazing 1 star reviews on Amazon. One guy tested and got 1000 mAh.
Another said- "Good news! Since they last half as long as his other batteries-my (his) other batteries must be 12000 mAh!" Crapfire indeed! I have two Genuine Crapfire 16340's one still worked-after 3 charges. I "retired" both.

Huh. Never saw a Gaberial cell until now. Looks like any other xxxfire battery with the 5000 mAh claim of capacity. Ridiculous!

I have a few 16340s that still work fine. In some hosts, they are all that will fit well. In everything else, I have replaced them with 18350s. They were a popular battery size 7 years ago.