Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Samsung 20x lightscribe burner diode

GMH

Gazoo said:
I don't know if you know this, but you can set your meter to the mv scale and measure the voltage across the resistor...this will give you the same reading as if you were measuring current. Of course make sure the probes are plugged into the correct place on the meter for measuring voltage.

Yes i have done that before with currents larger then my meter could handle. I dunno if that would of helped though. i think the resistance of the wires going to the diode, meter and battery case were affecting it. what happened was that i first removed the meter and noticed that the output went from about 120- 160mw. This was still in the range i was going for so i put it into the pulsar case. Then i tested it and it was something like 250mw. i'm guessing it must of been the cheap battery case and alligator clips.

Gazoo

Probably the clips. I have a bunch of Radio Shack test leads with the clips and the wires are crimped on to the clips. Needless to say this makes a very lousy connection. I went and re-soldered them all which did help a lot, but there can still be varying resistances caused by the clips. Anyway, you picked a good diode for a replacement and I am confident it will last you a good long time.

djayz

I got the same diodes out of my dvd-burner, do i need to attach a driver , as far as i am concerned i want to because i dont want to kill the diode by directly attaching it to the AAA batteries
P.S the LM317 driver, circuit i build was a LM317 with two 10 Ohm resistors and 10uF 16V capacitor n 100 Ohm Pot with 1N4007 with 4xAAA batteries.. will it work ??