Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety goggles, Do I need them?

so overall, dark room, several people. glasses necessary, or not necessary?

Well to be completely honest it depends on the set-up, if you have the laser in a tripod with a beam stop and you can be certain that no one will cross the path, I don't see why spectators (if they are seated or standing more then say 10 feet away) would need glasses. FYI this is just my opinion and others may suggest against it

"4 to 5"

That could cost anywhere from 30-100 or higher depending on quality

Honestly I would just get glasses for people who will be with in ~10 feet of the laser "spot"

eBay Glasses

Here are some cheap glasses from ebay. Rated at OD 5. They have at least 10 sets available. This will be the cheap alternative to blinding someone by an accidental flash.

Well to be completely honest it depends on the set-up, if you have the laser in a tripod with a beam stop and you can be certain that no one will cross the path, I don't see why spectators (if they are seated or standing more then say 10 feet away) would need glasses. FYI this is just my opinion and others may suggest against it

I agree, but if he plans on shinning it around or something like that where it could possibly hit a mirror or something reflective it would be better for everyone to have a set of glasses.

Negative, your blink reflex may be fast but not faster than light. You can cause serious damage in the blink of an eye. No pun intended.

I am going to be presenting a 200mw 408nm violet laser in front of my class for a project i am doing on high powered lasers, and i was wondering... Do we all really need safety goggles? thank you
Oh yes.
(I was going to post just "yes", but the forum won't accept posts below 5 characters)

Last edited:
Depends on the output of the laser and whether it was a direct hit off a mirrored surface or something like that. You can cause damage before your blink reflex kick in.

If the beam stop is painted matte black and the laser is mounted there should be no problem, a class 3B laser reflected of a diffuse material is not harmful to the eye. If you are the one doing the burning only you would have to wear the goggles, and if everyone is about 10 feet away there really shouldn't be a problem. Just remember if any laser is not mounted and completely safe from hitting anyone's eyes safety goggles should ALWAYS be worn! Everybody has only one pair of eyes!

Last edited:
If you're going to be using ANYTHING reflective, for example a spirograph or prisms, or basically anything that doesn't absorb a lot of light, you should definitely buy the goggles. Of course, you should buy them for anything you plan on doing, but if you believe you can get the laser to be in a position that it will NOT reflect, get everyone to 'stand back' and, well, just keep it secure, then the chances are far lower of injury occurring.