Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety glasses for 303 laser

vjanda

I recently bought some decent Uvex glasses for my 1.5W blue laser.
I also want to get a pair of cheaper glasses that I will use with my green 303.

Will these cheap Chinese glasses do the job considering the 303 is not too powerful?
Cheap glasses link

Any advice appreciated

Last edited:

Razako

Don't safety glasses that work for blue lasers usually also work for green, unless I'm mistaken?

Sta

Don't safety glasses that work for blue lasers usually also work for green, unless I'm mistaken?

Not the Uvex glasses. That type is only effective against blue light. Typically for absolute safety from a 303 you must use glasses that block green AND IR (unless it's an XPL 303, in which case you only need to block green.) I don't know where to find cheap goggles like this, though. :whistle:

Razako

The proper glasses for a 303 would probably cost 3-4x the cost of the 303 then. The 532nm AND IR blocking glasses don't come cheap.

vjanda

Damn, I will stick to burning things with my blue laser and use the 303 for scarring crows off my land.

Btw a hunting friend of mine screwed off the whole front focusing part off the 303. He uses it mounted on his rifle for wild boar hunting at night. The range is up to 400 yards and the width of the beam at that distance is around 6 yards. This is a way bigger spot then if the focus was opened up all the way in which case the width is less than a yard at 400 yards making it unusable for hunting.

Are there any green lasers that have a lens system for un-focusing the beam so that it is a clearly defined large circle? The butchered 303 spot is all over the place.
Something similar to the laser genetics designators but cheaper :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sta

Sta

Damn, I will stick to burning things with my blue laser and use the 303 for scarring crows off my land.

Excellent idea. Quite mature of you to resist the temptation to use the 303 for other things. +rep! :beer:

I really don't think you need to worry about the IR component of a 303 laser. It is not collimated and diffuses quite rapidly. Also, what little there is, is a small fraction of the output anyway. Any cheap red colored glasses that cost maybe $6.00 will suffice. Actually, the OP link is good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sta

Sta

I really don't think you need to worry about the IR component of a 303 laser. It is not collimated and diffuses quite rapidly. Also, what little there is, is a small fraction of the output anyway. Any cheap red colored glasses that cost maybe $6.00 will suffice. Actually, the OP link is good enough.

You are probably right paul. Sometimes this forum is just too paranoid about safety. +10 :)

Last edited:

joeyss

also you can by a 25mm ir filter cheap just put that on the laser. look on ebay.

Thanks, Sta. I have several IR filters I got about three years ago, but stopped using them a while back. It really is pointless. I think I've still got about four of them left. I spectrometered a 532 through a pair of red glasses and there was no IR component at four feet reflected off a black surface.

Last edited: