Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safety Eye Protection vs. RGB Laser Combinations

Mathewe

I currently have proper eye protection for my blue laser, and also for my green laser... and I wear the proper set of glasses for the proper wavelength laser that I am working with, however. I'm wanting to play around with RGB, all lasers firing at the same time, all lasers operating at different wavelengths. I'm not yet finding any 'all-inclusive' product that will protect my eyes through all visible wavelengths. I'd like suggestions as to sources for proper eye protection for doing such an RGB thing. Please don't make me take a picture of myself wearing 3 different pairs of safety glasses, all at the same time, one in front of the other! LOL :p

julianthedragon

Here, these are OD6+ for the green and blue range and OD3-4 around 635nm red (but not 650nm red).

I found them here, you can drag the sliders on the left to any wavelength you want them to block and hover over the goggles to check their wavelength range and OD. https://noirlaser.com/lasershields?input1=445&input2=532&input3=650

Just got some goggles from them sold by laserglow so as far as I know they're reputable

Well, you don't want to block all visible light, otherwise, just build a metal box over your head.

You'll need to know the actual wavelengths of the individual components of the full color laser. For example R-650 nm, G-520 nm, B-450 nm, then get a pair of glasses that is safe for those wavelengths. They will get more expensive, the more specialized they need to get.

As a side note, I guess I never understood high powered RGB handhelds. I mean, what is the point of having a laser that you can use to blend in any colour, if it's dangerous enough that you have to wear safety glasses such that you cannot see the output? It'd be like painting the most interesting portrait out of paint that gets ruined if anyone ever turns the lights on to see it, right?

Anyway, best of luck!

Mathewe

Here, these are OD6+ for the green and blue range and OD3-4 around 635nm red (but not 650nm red).

I found them here, you can drag the sliders on the left to any wavelength you want them to block and hover over the goggles to check their wavelength range and OD. https://noirlaser.com/lasershields?input1=445&input2=532&input3=650

Just got some goggles from them sold by laserglow so as far as I know they're reputable
Thanks Julian, I've checked it out and like what I see!

Mathewe

Well, you don't want to block all visible light, otherwise, just build a metal box over your head.

You'll need to know the actual wavelengths of the individual components of the full color laser. For example R-650 nm, G-520 nm, B-450 nm, then get a pair of glasses that is safe for those wavelengths. They will get more expensive, the more specialized they need to get.

As a side note, I guess I never understood high powered RGB handhelds. I mean, what is the point of having a laser that you can use to blend in any colour, if it's dangerous enough that you have to wear safety glasses such that you cannot see the output? It'd be like painting the most interesting portrait out of paint that gets ruined if anyone ever turns the lights on to see it, right?

Anyway, best of luck!
Good point! I never thought of it that way until you mentioned it. My desire for higher power is so far just trying to get the biggest bang possible, and be able to cover a wide scope of projects, via variable power inputs. With high power, I'll have the option for burning, or I can tone things down, a bit, for general experimentation, etc.. I'm not interested in anything 'hand-held' at this point. Bench top only!