Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

safety concerns . and a few focusing questions.

#1 concern ... SAFETY.

now i understand that the dot is dangerous and focusing it without eye protection is stupid .

but if i take it outside ( i live in the country )

and do some field shining is there a risk there?

i have ordered eye protection however .. my laser parts arrived first .

i assembled it and it does work . . thats as far as i went with it for now .

m140 diode 445nm
*1.26AMP* pill

its quite bright .. even the split second it turned on i had a yellow spot in my sight for a few min from the flash

Last edited:

APEX1

yeah very serious stuff especially at that power and wavelength. If you didn't get a direct hit it should go away. And the pill isn't 1.25w, I'm guessing you bought your host and driver from survival laser.. It's a 1.25amp driver and pill. I always recommend these safety glasses. Good luck and congrats on your build. Always be safe when lazing lol

just incase you didn't see the hyper link here's the url
Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-2000nm Laser Safety Goggles

yeah very serious stuff especially at that power and wavelength. If you didn't get a direct hit it should go away. And the pill isn't 1.25w, I'm guessing you bought your host and driver from survival laser.. It's a 1.25amp driver and pill. I always recommend these safety glasses. Good luck and congrats on your build. Always be safe when lazing lol

just incase you didn't see the hyper link here's the url
Eagle Pair® 190-540nm & 800-2000nm Laser Safety Goggles

i am well aware of the dangers and i dont mess around with the high powered lasers.

but is there danger in viewing the beam?

or is most of the danger in the dot?

i have ordered goggles.

i got these but they freakin shipped from china so its gonna be a few weeks before i get em .

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VYJASW6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

i just want to test the laser outside so it doesnt refract off anything which is why i ask if there is danger there or do i need to be super patient and wait for the protection ?

If your careful and you know theres no refelctive surfaces around to hit then youll be fine viewing the beam just dont look at the dot at close distance. You got a little taste of it when you first turned it on and saw the after image.

APEX1

Those glasses should do the trick. If your gonna use it inside and do some burning you should definitely wait for your eye protection! But if your gonna take it outside treat it as a firearm and never point it at anyone or anything lol and yes the danger is in the "dot" just be carful and you should be good.. Also there is danger in the beam as well but not as much when your outside..

Last edited:
If your careful and you know theres no refelctive surfaces around to hit then youll be fine viewing the beam just dont look at the dot at close distance. You got a little taste of it when you first turned it on and saw the after image.

yes very scary stuff .

and thanks guys .. thats the answer i was looking for

i will wait to do the focusing and burning till i have the proper protection .. just wanna make sure i wasnt doing something stupid before i tested it tonight

Just for thought. I would read the thread in the safty section... "Hit in the eye with a 1watt 445". Ide link it but im on mobile! Puts things into perspective and will make you a lil paranoid which is good with these high powered lasers!