Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safely handle ~300mw red laser

Hello, I'm new around here and I've been reading a lot of the forum, but the majority of the time was spent in the safety sections.

I've just ordered the parts necessary to build a roughly 300(?)mw laser pointer. I have plenty of time till all of the parts arrive, so I figured I'd get well versed in the safety of using it. Don't wanna go blind.

First things first, am I correct in thinking that while dark objects (black balloons, electrical tape, etc) will burn, but things like my house's drywall will not? I'd hate to have it going and then burn the house down by lighting up the wall!

Another thing, I ordered glasses that had a rating of OD5+ or something like that. Is that enough? They were matched to the 650nm of the laser I got.

I know I'm gonna have to lock my cat out of the room I'm using the laser in, I wouldn't want him to curiously look into the beam and then suddenly become Dante the blind cat.

It was probably a bad idea to read each and every horror story on here since my attitude for this kind of power went from "Wow, Awesome!" to "Oh god I'm going to die if I look at it" ^^;

Any recommendations for a beginner to this sort of high powered stuff?

I'm trying to not sound like a over worried person but I don't want this dive into the hobby to end in disaster, you know?

Thanks for the help.

LaZeRz

Hey, welcome to the forum! :)

Well, first of all, the glasses you have are overkill.. They are means for red lasers 1 or 2 watts in power :D (Not saying they are bad...)

You will be completely safe with those glasses on.

Secondly, a 650nm laser cant burn anything white... So dont worry about burning your walls down, lol

Hope you enjoy your stay here!

Thanks! That lets a lot of worry off of me. I like knowing that I'm overprotected rather then under.

When all the stuff arrives I'll probably post a thread on the build.. once I figure out where that is. Red laser forum, right?

Thanks! That lets a lot of worry off of me. I like knowing that I'm overprotected rather then under.

When all the stuff arrives I'll probably post a thread on the build.. once I figure out where that is. Red laser forum, right?

Yep that's the best forum to put it in. By the way, just letting you know with that powerful glasses you wont see the beam at all.

Oh, well.. Huh. Maybe I should also order a cheap pair too? Well, we'll see how good the glasses I got are when they get here.

LaZeRz

300mW of 650nm can burn white objects when focused

I wouldn't be too sure of that... I've left my red laser which is around 300W's on a white paper for 30 seconds and it didnt leave a mark.

Also, I don't think the laser is going to be pointing at a certain spot for more then 5 seconds

I'd be a bit worried if it could burn my wall.. lol

But I think 300mw isn't powerful enough for that. Maybe a 1w, but not 300, right?

I'd be a bit worried if it could burn my wall.. lol

But I think 300mw isn't powerful enough for that. Maybe a 1w, but not 300, right?

I have a 300+ mW homebrew red and no, don;t worry. It's not going to make your walls burst into flames. I focus mine on a wooden door across the room and, while it generates some heat it doesn't burn the door. Burt, if I hold a dark colored match (green, blue or black)in the beam an inch or less in front of the door the match will ignite from across the room in less than a second. It will also quickly burn holes through black CD cases from across the room. But no, no walls catching fire. :):) Focused at close range (1 or 2 feet) it will ignite red matches and light colored matches instantly. I have even gotten it to ignite white tipped matches but I think it is from the heat generated by the beam against the matchstick itself rather than the match head. It will set fire to black and dark colored paper under the right conditions.

Last edited:
Wow.. that sounds perfect. Powerful enough to do that kind of stuff, but not so powerful that it burns anything it touches. Glad I picked this kind. :)

Drew

I wouldn't be too sure of that... I've left my red laser which is around 300W's on a white paper for 30 seconds and it didnt leave a mark.

Also, I don't think the laser is going to be pointing at a certain spot for more then 5 seconds

I burned a piece of paper with a hotlights loc @ 420ma before I posted. It took less than 5 seconds. It won't burn walls by accident, but they're still powerful (and lot's of fun). I think it's a good choice

jimdt7

Welcome to the forum !
Where did you buy the OD+5 red glasses ?