Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safecast - Kickstarter Open Source Geiger Counter

Did you want the meter or just the tube?

You can try going to the kickstart page and getting in touch with Sean. I think they are planning on making a few extra...

Last edited:

I was after the meter, I saw an article yesterday of Andrew (bunnie) Huang's geiger counter with the clear case (article with prototype cases and development on a white background) but there was no mention of this forum pledge. I particularly liked the look of the clear case because it reminded me of a gameboy I used to own also with a clear case.

Whilst evaluating various detectors on the net I discovered the DIYGeigerCounter website and was looking at his list of tube comparisons today at work and wondered how much the LND-7317 would cost and in searching opened up a link to this forum. Imagine my surprise when I saw the clear case, then while reading through the posts of this thread looked at my watch to see I was a day late to pledge :D

I am glad that you made well in excess of your fundraising goal and wish you every success for the future. I understand that I missed out but it's not the end of the world; I can still make my own detector. As Ned Kelly said just before he was hanged "Such is life!"

Sigurthr said:
I don't believe S_L was worried about you flying with it, I think he was more concerned about a new retailer erroneously air-shipping these completed meters all over the world with the very real possibility of them being in non hermetically sealed containers in unpressurized cargo bays of airplanes. In other words, he didn't want you to receive a broken tube.

More or less summed up my concerns.
I actually wasn't sure what the manufacturer of the open source Geiger counter was claiming for altitude limits or if he even stated one. That's enough to cause concern for me.
I remember George giving me a very clear warning about high altitude when I got his now discontinued limited edition LENI CDV700 with a 3" GEO 210 probe.

Hi folks-
Thanks for all the interest. So to be clear on this, we are not a new retailer, in fact we aren't a retailer at all. These devices are being manufactured and shipped by International Medcom who have been building and selling very high quality geiger counters for over 20 years. We designed a new device and open sourced the design and they expressed interest in producing it right away. We thought it would be cool to offer a special edition one, which is the clear version we offered through kickstarter, but that too will be produced and shipped by Medcom, the same way they ship their other devices. Hope that clears things up. Thanks again!