Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

safe voltage and current for SenKat's LDs

Hi guys,

I'm using SenKat's LDs with no additional heatsinks but my cycle is limited to < 1 min.

Currently driving it at 3.0v at 260mA is this safe or too high?

Is it safer to crank the current or the voltage up?

Thanks.

chimo

Do you recall what teh spec sheet said?

cyclonite said:
Hi guys,

I'm using SenKat's LDs with no additional heatsinks but my cycle is limited to < 1 min.

Currently driving it at 3.0v at 260mA is this safe or too high?

Is it safer to crank the current or the voltage up?

Thanks.

Benm

The spec sheet says 130 mA i think... i'd recommend some form of cooling when going beyond that, and good cooling when running at 260 mA... it'll probably live for a while, but you -are- pushing it.

S

SenKat

If I recall - I think lotsa folks on here have published their personal favorite limits to be around the 200ma mark....I personally prefer to see a lot more red than that :p But then again, I have been spoiled with these lasers !

no way.... 230ma was just barely enough for me... I'm quite happy with 260ma ;D furthermore I have 2 more of your LDs stuck at my friend's place and once I get them I'll have some backups ::)

Thanks so much anyway :)

Benm

SenKat said:
If I recall - I think lotsa folks on here have published their personal favorite limits to be around the 200ma mark....I personally prefer to see a lot more red than that :p  But then again, I have been spoiled with these lasers !

Hehe.. you're also lucky to have 100s of them laying around i guess, so blowing one up doesn't matter all that much ;)

Still, at any current over 200 mA i'd suggest at least providing a heatsink of sorts... mounting it in a metal flashlight body will probably be sufficient, but using only the bare aixiz module will make it run warm.

Gazoo

I am running a SenKat diode with 270ma's. Is it safe?...probably not. Is it fun...yes.. ;D

My favorite one has an abnormally low Vf, and I'm running it just over 300mA. It probably has more than 3 hours on it so far. Tuff little guy. ;D
/me wished he had gotten in on the LPM-1 GB.

Kenom

I just built a dorcy jr putting out exactly 300ma and it's putting out peak at 200mw!!  blew my mind cause as of before this one have never broken the 200mw mark.

As a side note, with the additional heatsinking I'm using inside my dorcy's this baby starts to warm pretty quickly so I keep my run time down to below 1 minute.

How hot do they get?? Just warm to the touch? Or really hot like 70 degrees?

Thx.

Are you using a regulator, or just a resistor? I always wonder when I see anybody talking about setting the voltage rather than the current, or setting both.

Yeah, I run at 250mA but I wouldn't do it without a heatsink.