Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Safe goggles?

Roxx

Hello, I just purchased my first LD on e-bay. It is a 445nm diode that can do more than a watt. Included is the flex drive V5, aixiz 12X30 3element AR coated glass lens and a pair of safety glasses, all for 108 dollars. Sounded good to me so I bought because it included the safety glasses. Question is are these glasses what Ishould be using or are they junk, do i need to spend 100 dollars for a pair of safety glasses?

Thanks for the help!

if those goggles are like the ones I have that look identical.. then they suck. But like laserhead says. Point the laser at a wall, then hold the goggles in front of it. If you still get a dot on the wall, the goggles are worthless.

Roxx

if those goggles are like the ones I have that look identical.. then they suck. But like laserhead says. Point the laser at a wall, then hold the goggles in front of it. If you still get a dot on the wall, the goggles are worthless.

Thanks qumefox and laserhead. Dont want to assume anything! There must be a power rating as well?

5mw of 445nm isn't at all bright. if the dot is only slightly visible on the wall when shining the laser through the goggles, then they're probably 'adequate' If it's still fairly bright, then they aren't doing much. But yes, the only real way to be positive is with a LPM.

Also.. don't shine the laser through the center of the goggles if you plan to use them. at 1W+ your probably going to end up with a melted spot from the test, and you don't want that that in the center of your field of vision.. I usually try it on the very edge, or better yet, where they wrap around the side of your face (if the goggles are made like that)