Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RPL adjustable

Freyth

Just wanted to know if I had to change the power levels every time I switch the RPL on? Or do they stay that way forever? :cool:

Ask Jack - aka bootleg2go - he's the authority. I think (although I don't own one yet) that it stays where you left it when you turned it off, and you can re-adjust it as needed. I think he also mentioned that cranking the dial all the way up may not be the highest power level, but it may be at some point lower on the dial. (you're talking about the adjustable models right?)

Freyth said:
Just wanted to know if I had to change the power levels every time I switch the RPL on? Or do they stay that way forever? :cool:
Hi Freyth,
The current level selection switch also includes an additional power switch (for safety I suppose).
Level 0 turns off all current, levels 1-9 adjust the amount of current to the IR diode.

after a level is selected, then the beam in enabled by the push button switch. If the laser is left at a power level other than 0, and then shut off by way of the push button, the laser is really not turned off, only the beam has been disabled. The power LED remains lit and current still flows through some of the control circuitry.

Yes as steve mentioned, level 9 is usually not the optimum current level. As the current is adjusted upwards, the IR diode IR emissions increase, there is a point at which supplying the crystal with more IR does not increase the visual 532nm output power (this means the crystal has reached saturation), increasing the IR beyond the saturation level only adds more heat and shorter battery life to the equation.

I

Freyth

So in order for me to actually switch it off I have to turn it down to power level 0 right? So basically I have to change the power levels everytime I switch it on, is that what you're saying?

S

SenKat

Yup - if you want the power completely off - that is what you have to do. A little bit annoying in my book - I prefer the point and click simplicity of other devices...

Freyth said:
So in order for me to actually switch it off I have to turn it down to power level 0 right? So basically I have to change the power levels everytime I switch it on, is that what you're saying?

If you're using the laser and only turning it off for a short amount of time (less than an hour or so), then you don't need to worry about shutting off the adjustment switch as the current draw is pretty low and the battery capacity is large, but if you're done using the laser for the evening or for more than several hours it's best to turn off the adjustment switch at that point to avoid the battery draining by the next time you plan on using it; but for short off periods while you're actively using it leaving the adjust switch at the desired level is fine.

Freyth

Thanks!

Oh, also wanted to ask how would I know which level of brightness i.e. level 5 or 6 when I turn the dial up?