Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RPL 400mW vs. PGL-III 400mW or BOTH

Entity

If you had to choose between an Optotronics 400mW and a 400mW CNI PGL-III from Dragon Lasers which would you choose? They are both priced at $1499.

To me the obvious winner is the RPL because 1) Jacks customer service is awesome 2) The divergence is better and the beam is thinner. This makes it a burning beast.
3) It is a good 2 inches shorter than the PGL-III and overall much more portable. 4) The RPL is more convenient in that it does not have safety features. You can pull it out and you are ready to go. The PGL has a key and a wire you must plug in at the end. What if you lose these? Can you purchase replacements.

So I wanted to know if you guys agree with me.

However, I am considering purchasing both models. I would review them both and test the outputs etc. I am fairly certain I will favor the RPL. I have some money to spare right now and eventually I could sell the PGL back to someone on this board for about 60 percent of what it cost me. So, do you think anyone would buy that laser? I might find I don't want to be stuck with two lasers that are that similar. I could offer it to someone for about $1000. I am not asking if you are personally interested, because it would not be for a while, but I am asking if you think there would be people willing to buy it. I assume there would.

And second of all, do you see any purpose of owning both? I like to add many different kinds of lasers to my "arsenal" and I might decide to keep both. I don't know, maybe I am crazy, but I might not mind owning both.

Razako

The RPL 400 FTW! Btw you can get a 7.5% discount at optotronics for being a member of this forum.

I would do some research and just buy one, obviously there are other lasers or things you could buy with the left over dollars. In fact you could buy us all a nice red burner lol. Anyway, pick your beast and maybe choose a different color laser for the remaining funds.

SN

PS: message me if you want to buy me something with your "spare money" hehe ;)

I'd go with the RPL all the way. Buy an RPL400 first and you will be hard pressed to find another laser that matches it. This might make all of the other laser you buy seem like a disappointment. maybe you should buy all of the lesser powered crappy lasers first and then buy the RPL. You could get a 400mW Titan at Techlasers for $999 and then get an RPL.

Amnizu

As with any topic where you ask about buying from Dragonlasers, a bunch of people are going to get up on the soapbox and proclaim them scammers, liars, cheats and terrorists. But I'd say get both.

Ace82

email Jack at Support @Optotronics and he can send you a google checkout invoice for what you want with an additional 1.5% discount.

P.S. Don't forget the safety goggles!

IgorT

Ace82 said:
P.S. Don't forget the safety goggles!

I would imagine, that you go blind instantly, if you point it at a wall indoors without the goggles... Well, it wouldn't be very healthy.

Even just the spot of a 50mW leaves orange afterimages in the dark.

Amnizu

IgorT said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1205211486/0#5 date=1205246679]P.S. Don't forget the safety goggles!

I would imagine, that you go blind instantly, if you point it at a wall indoors without the goggles... Well, it wouldn't be very healthy.

Even just the spot of a 50mW leaves orange afterimages in the dark.[/quote]

I've pointed my Spartan 300mW at many walls indoors without goggles. Of course, they were always at least 10 feet away, but I've yet to go blind or damage my eyes doing so.

Entity said:
4) The RPL is more convenient in that it does not have safety features. You can pull it out and you are ready to go. The PGL has a key and a wire you must plug in at the end. What if you lose these? Can you purchase replacements.

The RPLs actually do have a key that inserts in the rear of the laser as a safety feature. (It's mandated by law to have at least two safety features I believe, the shutter is the other) However, I do find this much more convenient than the "dead man switch" wired serial connector* commonly found on other lasers of this type and it's nice not having the key sticking out the side. Jack provides 2 keys so one can be kept safe as a backup.

I'd go with the RPL, no question.

CC

*These wired connectors are used in lab environments where they can be tied into a door switch so that the laser shuts off if someone walks in without proper eye protection, so they do have a use. Why they can't use a more modern Mini-USB connector or something equally easier to plug in is beyond me though. :-?

IgorT

Amnizu said:
I've pointed my Spartan 300mW at many walls indoors without goggles. Of course, they were always at least 10 feet away, but I've yet to go blind or damage my eyes doing so.

Well, i didn't mean literally "go blind", i was mainly just impressed at what power of laser we are talking about..

But i also know, that pointing a DX200 at a wall, even 10m away hurts my eyes. Never mind 10 feet. And your 300mW must be around twice the power.

Even a red 200mW hurts some people at 10 feet, and it doesn't look anywhere close in brightness.

Besides, how would you know if you hurt your eyes just a little? I'm asking because i had a very weird feeling, after seeing the DX200 dot from a few meters. The reds suddenly started looking completelly different, much dimmer and a weird colout. It took me a week for them to start looking normal to me again. And no, i didn't shine the laser in my eyes or burned anything from up close without goggles. So i was kinda worried.

Ace82

I never use goggles when I point my RPL at a white wall. I stare at the dot like a bug to the light. I get hypnotized just the same as I stair at fire, or the sun. :p

-This seems to be an ongoing subject with no end. Practice common sense (as with everything) and everyone will be just fine. :cool: