Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Road to Homemade Nd: YAG

This project will not be completed until I determine how I will make a pumping chamber. I am pushing the lamp I have slightly, but this is not worrisome. Theoretically, I would only need around 8mJ of energy to reach threshold (If the system were 100% efficient, this means I need at least 8mJ of light energy in the right spectral regions to reach the rod). The flash tube could be up to 15% efficient (electrical to useful light). I figure my cavity will yield pretty substantial losses, as well as slight mirror misalignments etc. At this point, getting the small Nd: YAG rod to lase will be trial and error, as I will likely be using a polished soda can as the reflector with the rod and flash lamp being very close together. The whole system is powered off of a 18650 battery and is able to charge to 500V with an 800uF capacitor in a little over 2 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUuhOipvue4

Rivem

Neat! Is the goal to make it portable since you're charging off battery?

Portability is definitely a plus. For now I'm using a 12V wall adapter to power the cooling fan, but I could easily use a 12V battery or use a boost converter with a lower voltage battery (as long as the current is sufficient).

That is a tiny flash tube. Good luck with your project. I hope it doesn't cost you as much as I'm thinking it will before you get lasing.

A tiny flashlamp for a tiny rod. The rod is about 40mm and the flashlamp discharge length is similar in length (off by a few mm). I already have mirrors and mirror mounts. Hopefully the soda can reflector will work as a pumping chamber, and it should based off of the math (although I cannot account for the losses I will have with the makeshift pumping chamber)

You need to form and elliptical chamber and place the YAG and the flash lamp at the foci. If done correctly and the aluminum is polished well, your losses could be minimal. I'm not too sure about a pop can though.

The elliptical chamber is the most efficient way to pump the rod with a linear flash lamp; however, a close packed system will still be decently efficient, efficient enough. If I were to paint the soda with barium sulfate, the system would be much more efficient than the polished aluminum

Last edited: