Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rifle445 Lens Mod

With the growing popularity and the comments left in my thread I decided to do a tutorial on how to access the acrylic lens on your Rifle.

FIRST

Read this and then continue only if you feel confident in performing this mod and have a soldering iron as this mod may require a solder repair (maybe not if your talented enough ;) )

AND READ EACH STEP THOUROUGHLY, please :)

You must have at least moderate skills with tools and some Patiance ;)

The steps below aided with pics should guide you though. Some steps are pictorially but will be worded.

First, lets make sure you NEED to do a swap. I believe the newer versions of the rifle have an AR coated glass lens (not positive but this was suppose to be an upgrade from the first version)

(MAKE SURE THERE IS NOT BATTERIES IN YOU LASER)
for this step and the rest following
You can tell by unscrewing your diffraction grating tip and looking down the aperture to see if the piece surrounding the lens is plastic. If yes then its an acrylic. If no then your good to go ;)

Next your going to unscrew your rifle body at the following joint

photo3.jpg

After unscrewing your laser you will see the following.
photo1.jpg

The next thing is to remove the piece of epoxy that holds the driver HS into place. Take your time and be careful not to break the leads from your diode to your driver. It should be moderately easy to break the joint with an All or sharp pick. There will most likely be one spot of epoxy on the OD of the HS and also look the threads over to make sure there is not remnants of epoxy clogging them.

photo2-1.jpg

The next few steps involve the patience... Next with a screwdriver or a pair of retaning ring pliers unscrew the module from the barrel of the host. You should see two drills holes in the HS. These will allow you to perform this step.

2011-08-06_11-16-41_839.jpg

If you have the module out then in the bottom of the barrel you should see what your wanting the change. Take care in this step as if you're swapping to a 405-G1 multiple attempts may be required to acheive a nice dot. You can unscrew the lens by using a thin pair of needle nose pliers. Once you have the new lens installed its time to put her all back togethor again!

Make sure upon reassembly that you 'pre-twist' the wire in the opposite direction so that when you screw the host back togethor the wire going to the driver does not break.

2011-08-06_11-17-35_565.jpg

Hello,

I don't understand well when you say : " You can tell by unscrewing your diffraction grating tip and looking down the aperture to see if the piece surrounding the lens is plastic. If yes then its an acrylic. If no then your good to go"
I have 1W version. The piece surrounding the lens inside the laser is black, but i don't know if plastic or not ?:thinking:

No problem sorry for the late reply I'm in the blue ridge mountains, so here is a pic of the top off an acrylic

2011-08-06_11-23-06_423.jpg

Well hopefully this tutorial will help you out a little bit then ;)

One last question, to access the lens it is necessary to remove all? Is it possible to access the lens on the other side that is to say, is it possible to unscrew and remove the block focusing lens? Have you ever try this manipulation?
:thanks:

Great little tutorial. Just want to mention, the new true 1W version being sold by lazerer are a little bit different. They are using a linear driver instead, and they also put globs of thermal paste in there.

So if anyone opens theirs up to see gobs of white stuff and a different driver... still same thing. Unfortunately the lens is still the same acrylic in this newer version:(

:beer: thanks. If it's the soft gooey thermal paste like on most of the other Chinese lasers then it would be easier to remove than the clear type epoxy on the previous versions. Don't know though since haven't torn one of those apart yet :eg:

The really should have upgraded to a glass lens though...

^^^White, soft, and gooey.

(I know it's tempting, but let's not take the thread off topic with jokes now:p)

lol guess I should have better described the physical propeties of ummm... Thermal Goop

Great little tutorial. Just want to mention, the new true 1W version being sold by lazerer are a little bit different. They are using a linear driver instead, and they also put globs of thermal paste in there.

So if anyone opens theirs up to see gobs of white stuff and a different driver... still same thing. Unfortunately the lens is still the same acrylic in this newer version:(

Hello,

I have the same laser, if you make a modification of this laser i'm very interressing of a tutorial, because i'm be afraid to open it and after doesn't work...:eek:

Hello,

I have the same laser, if you make a modification of this laser i'm very interressing of a tutorial, because i'm be afraid to open it and after doesn't work...:eek:

The only difference between the two models is that this newer one uses a different driver, and tons of soft, white thermal paste.

So the tutorial Rainfade posted is more or less perfect.

I don't think you will get much of a power increase from switching out the lenses... if that was the only mod you were planning on, I wouldn't bother.

I thought that maybe I could open it to try to clean or change the lens because of the bubbles that I see when the beam is highly divergent but I feel there is too much risk. :thanks: