Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review - ThorFire VG10 ( 1 x 18650 XM-L )

IMGP0647_zpsbadsn7od.jpg

Review was kindly sponsored by ThorFire:

Product page : ThorFire VG10 CREE XM-L2 LED Flashlight with Clip 4 Modes Torch

Web page : Eachine Power Bank,Charger,Led Bulb Sale Online

IMGP0607_zpszornfrhn.jpg

IMGP0609_zpsphd3shji.jpg

IMGP0621_zpspfimeuhw.jpg

IMGP0641_zpshzkluwo9.jpg

IMGP0634_zpsf2a53qxw.jpg

IMGP0631_zps2dreh3np.jpg

IMGP0635_zpszwupx9ya.jpg

First impressions :

I must admit I was not expecting a light that was quite as nicely built . My first impressions were of a light that is extremely well made , that worked without issue and was very easy to live with . The clicky switch was very firm so no accidental activations here . The beam is excellent and looks to throw well for such a small XM-L host .

Performance :

Dont expect current figures to match output measured ( light box ) as the contact area for the positive is the very outside rim where it contacts the inside of the tailcap . So with such a small contact area for the Multi Meter .

High - 1.9A - 835 to 880 Lumen

Medium - 0.725A - 391 Lumen

Low - 0.066A - 37 Lumen

Moon Mode - 0.001A - ? Lumen ( to low to measure )

My Jetbeam PA40 was used to calibrate the light box , and the figures given are an approximation . Measured current may not match measure light output doe to the variables involved .

VG-10 :

What I got was a 4 mode light that is equal in size to your average P60 host . Modes are High , medium , low and moon ( i know on the box it says H-M-L-and strobe ) . The build quality on this light is excellent , its very bright and does not seem to get overly hot in use . The way the light was assembled looks to be some what unique , and Im not sure how easy pill removal will be ? I tried to remove this one and it was no go , so pictured is as far as I was able to disassemble the body . ( I didn't bother to try disassembling the tailcap ) .

As can be seen in the pictures the light comes with a battery and charger ( usb ) as well a nice lanyard and a bag of extras ( Lens , O ring , clicky switch ) . I will see about doing separate reviews for the charger and battery as time permits . So a rather feature packed box . The clip on the light is very strong and firm , Im talking very firm . Perhaps a little on the firm side for a child or woman .

This is a forward clicky light , so a half press of the tail switch will give you momentary on . There is mode memory and it takes about 5 seconds to activate ( if the light is on for 5 seconds the mode is remembered ) . Mood mode is low , I'm talking seriously low . You could shove the light right up to your eye ball in moon mode and look at the LED . ( That's how low on this one ) I love the Medium mode on this one , its just right for night time photography .

DSC_4003_zpssxaadp8l.jpg

Here is a photo I took using the VG-10 to highlight this Orb Weaver Spider .

What we have here is another XM-L flashlight that I cant find anything to fault about . We consumers simply have more and more choices these days , and the VG-10 deserves to be on your shopping list ( if this example is anything to go bye ) .. Im impressed .. And I very much like the VG-10 .. Again nothing to complain about !

How does it regulate at lower voltages? What is "high" current at 3.7V, 3.6V, 3.5V etc.?

How hot do the die and case get?

Any words on the charger or cell it came with?

Is the driver inaccessible?

High - 1.9A - 835 to 880 Lumen

The highest XM-L bin does 742 lumens at 2A. Source. Add in optical losses, and you're under 600lm. Whatever system you're using to measure lumens is off by at least 25%. That's not far from useless.

The highest XM-L bin does 742 lumens at 2A. Source. Add in optical losses, and you're under 600lm. Whatever system you're using to measure lumens is off by at least 25%. That's not far from useless.

Wow !!
If you bothered to read ( READ ) the review , you would have read my explanation ..