Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of Spartan from DragonLasers (1W 447nm)

• Thread starter Deleted member 22482
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 22482

Hello.

Long time since I made a review so here is a review on the Spartan 1W 447nm from DragonLasers. From the date that I placed the order to the date that I got it was in total 4 days sent with EMS. Quick shipping and excellent customer service.

PROS:
- Very good beam quality
- Nice finish
- Fast shipping
- Nice customer support (thumbs up for Frank)
- Packed awesomely
- Smooth tailcap
- Sexy host (oooooh how can I explain it.. it's so beautiful..)
- Smooth threading
- Picture on the host on how to insert batteries to prevent damages

CONS:

- EMS shipping doesn't put your packages on hold at the station so you can grab it manually, you have to be at home to get the package (they drive it out), but I guess that isn't really a con..

This laser is probably the best laser I have ever touched, and will probably be the only one I'll love this much. I was earlier in love with the JetLasers PL-D but now that I received this one.. Well.. It is the perfect laser. I mean - wow! It's made by CNI and when you get that fresh laser you know it was produced recently, with that smell of melted plastic and no scratches whatsoever..

This is a laser I would recommend to everyone. Of the famous 1Watters at the market, I have tested these, these are the points I'd give them:

- Lazerer Rifle 1W (4 of 10)
- JetLasers PL-D (7.5 of 10)
- O-like 1W, the big one (5 of 10)
- WickedLasers Arctic (6 of 10)
- DragonLasers Spartan (10 of 10)

I thought the laser that JetLasers had sold me was a pure 1W, but when comparing, it didn't look like it, as the Spartan was much stronger, but now, I understand why. Recently I went and made my own laser, I eventually fixed it, but when the connections went loose I got so frustrated I let Jeff (pyro) fix it, he metered it at 1.5W+. When I had tried it before the connections were loose, the Spartan and the laser the Spartans output was slightly lower. When trying burning capabilites, both were capable of burning just about the same.

Their customer service is awesome - DOA? Or any other matters? Just send it back with EMS (they want it insured) and you'll have a new one popping in your mailbox soon.

I'm going to tell you this now - Only USE 3V CR123 batteries. Do NEVER NEVER NEVER use the 3.7V ones. It will ruin the laser - trust me, it will! ONLY USE 3V CR123 batteries - this is a warning.

And now.. Pictures:

The laser..
20120314140838.jpg

20120314140854.jpg

It has a removable lens lock so it protects from dust..
20120314140911.jpg

Button..
20120314140922.jpg

The picture of the battery insert way.. And it's also the smoothest tailcap I have ever turned..
20120314140933.jpg

The way you put in the batteries..
20120314140958.jpg

CR123. 3V.
20120314141015.jpg

Safety glasses are mandatory. I also bought a pair from DL, they work really well. Just as good as the Survival ones, so if you're already ordering from DL, go with their glasses.
20120314141108.jpg

Now.. what is strange is this. The dot of the laser is not rectangular! In this picture, it looks like a dot that has been stretched, but that is because I was moving the laser in a rapid speed when taking the photo to prevent burn marks on the wall, but when you look at the dot (of course, you make sure it is safe first and that it is a far distance), it is somewhat round and not close to rectangular.
20120314141129.jpg

Match...
20120314141159.jpg

Size comparision, from left to right. Keychain red laser, dilda, newwish pen, E3, E2, Spartan,
20120201134751.jpg

The only thing they could have improved is the information on their website, the battery issue seems to be common when people use 3.7V'olters in their lasers..

I'm sure this laser is VERY overspec. And that it has a round dot.. wow!! (how is it possible?, am I doing something wrong maybe..?)

:friend:

SCORE:
10/10

Good bye:)

Thank you and have a good day! :eg:

The only negative I can give this, and most of the others, is they use plastic lenses. After some time they tend to melt, or disfigure.

If you can, swap it out with a 445 glass lens.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 22482

The only negative I can give this, and most of the others, is they use plastic lenses. After some time they tend to melt, or disfigure.

If you can, swap it out with a 445 glass lens.

Are you sure it is a plastic lens? Wouldn't that melt like.. instantly?

Unless they updated it, but I've heard nothing of them changing to glass.

No, not instantly. To be honest you wont know till it happens. I've seen quite a few member complaining about it though.

Pretty sure the Arctic, and Riffle use plastic too, but they could have changed it.

D

Deleted member 22482

Unless they updated it, but I've heard nothing of them changing to glass.

No, not instantly. To be honest you wont know till it happens. I've seen quite a few member complaining about it though.

Pretty sure the Arctic, and Riffle use plastic too, but they could have changed it.

I think the Spartan uses a glass lens.. Doesn't plastic lenses also dramatically lower the power? Since they are CNI made and why would such a high rep company make a so good laser and then fail on the lens? It's a matter of less then a buck when purchased in great quantity.

The same thing with the Rifle. About the Arctic, yes, that one is plastic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Money is money.

Do your own research. There were quite a few complaints about the Spartan having a plastic lens.