Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of Lasence 559nm 20mW chartreuse module

bulukaki

This is a review of Lasence's 559nm 20mW DPSS module. As I don't have an LPM and spectrometer, this review will focus on my experience as a customer of Lasence. Also, this review is not sponsored in any kind by Lasence.

The Wait
I purchased the module on Alibaba on May 12th, shipped via FedEx on 14th and arrived here in Taiwan on 20th. Excellent customer service by Lasence, and packing was very satisfactory (two layers of thick bubble wrap inside a rigid carboard box!).
lime.packing.jpg

The Module
lime.edit.jpg (note: heavily edited to approximate how my eyes perceive the color) At 559nm, the color of this laser is an odd greenish yellow, very much like those greenish yellow highlighters, just a tad more green.

The laser module measures 20x30mm, and has a fixed focus. It also has a driver (measures around 15x20mm) which is very neatly packaged in a black shrink wrap. It's very convenient to have the appropriate driver to come with the laser, as it saves a lot of hassle of having to get a driver (the laser runs 3V at 650mA IIRC). At this price point ($90 plus $7.7 shipping), I think it's a very good deal for a "plug-and-play" laser module.

The Beam
lime.vs.cyan.jpg
When I first powered it up, I'm pretty surprised. This thing is BRIGHT. At only 20mW, the dot looks almost as bright as the dot of 492nm 100mW Sanwu Pocket. The only hint at the power difference is the splash -- the 492nm one lights up the room much more than this 559nm module.

Lasence offers a proper laser pointer for presentation in this wavelength rated at 9mW or less, and I can very well imagine how obnoxious it would be if someone actually uses that pointer during a meeting.

As expected for a DPSS, the beam is very tight compared to direct diode lasers. The dot looks slightly elliptical, but with laser goggles on it looks very round.

lime.ir.jpg
However, when photographing the beam, I noticed that my phone camera picks up a pinkish glare. This is by no means a quantitative test, but it almost certaily means that some IR is leaking from this module. If anyone uses this module for their build, I strongly suggest to install a filter to remove the leaking IR.

On a final note, even running the bare module for over a minute does not warm it up much; even a fairly small host using this module could have a decent runtime.

Now What...

I'm currently designing a chunky, bar-shaped, modular host to be called home for this lovely module! Since all critical components have arrived, I will soon finalize the design and order the parts via CNC services on Alibaba. Until then, that's all! :) P.S. now I can't deny that I'm fan of Lasence!

Last edited:

Sowee7

i have a few of theese modules! mine are 558nm they are very nice modules, sad they dont come with an ir filter

This is a review of Lasence's 559nm 20mW DPSS module. As I don't have an LPM and spectrometer, this review will focus on my experience as a customer of Lasence. Also, this review is not sponsored in any kind by Lasence.

The Wait
I purchased the module on Alibaba on May 12th, shipped via FedEx on 14th and arrived here in Taiwan on 20th. Excellent customer service by Lasence, and packing was very satisfactory (two layers of thick bubble wrap inside a rigid carboard box!).
View attachment 72741

The Module
View attachment 72740 (note: heavily edited to approximate how my eyes perceive the color) At 559nm, the color of this laser is an odd greenish yellow, very much like those greenish yellow highlighters, just a tad more green.

The laser module measures 20x30mm, and has a fixed focus. It also has a driver (measures around 15x20mm) which is very neatly packaged in a black shrink wrap. It's very convenient to have the appropriate driver to come with the laser, as it saves a lot of hassle of having to get a driver (the laser runs 3V at 650mA IIRC). At this price point ($90 plus $7.7 shipping), I think it's a very good deal for a "plug-and-play" laser module.

The Beam
View attachment 72739
When I first powered it up, I'm pretty surprised. This thing is BRIGHT. At only 20mW, the dot looks almost as bright as the dot of 492nm 100mW Sanwu Pocket. The only hint at the power difference is the splash -- the 492nm one lights up the room much more than this 559nm module.

Lasence offers a proper laser pointer for presentation in this wavelength rated at 9mW or less, and I can very well imagine how obnoxious it would be if someone actually uses that pointer during a meeting.

As expected for a DPSS, the beam is very tight compared to direct diode lasers. The dot looks slightly elliptical, but with laser goggles on it looks very round.

View attachment 72738
However, when photographing the beam, I noticed that my phone camera picks up a pinkish glare. This is by no means a quantitative test, but it almost certaily means that some IR is leaking from this module. If anyone uses this module for their build, I strongly suggest to install a filter to remove the leaking IR.

On a final note, even running the bare module for over a minute does not warm it up much; even a fairly small host using this module could have a decent runtime.

Now What...

I'm currently designing a chunky, bar-shaped, modular host to be called home for this lovely module! Since all critical components have arrived, I will soon finalize the design and order the parts via CNC services on Alibaba. Until then, that's all! :) P.S. now I can't deny that I'm fan of Lasence!
I took a look a the site but did not see a pointer available. Where would I find it on their site? Thanks

julianthedragon

If you search "pointer" on their store you would also see a 545nm one listed for $70
When you search "pointer" there is a "<5mw 561nm Pointer" and a "Class 2 561nm Pointer", both items look identical and sell for the same price. Is there a difference? Is the "Class 2" laser higher power?

(I see the 545 too just asking about 561)

Sowee7

When you search "pointer" there is a "<5mw 561nm Pointer" and a "Class 2 561nm Pointer", both items look identical and sell for the same price. Is there a difference? Is the "Class 2" laser higher power?

(I see the 545 too just asking about 561)
class 2 is weaker than 5mw, class 2 means a laser is <1mw, so 5mw is stronger

junksmith_cheddar

Shrek green! This lime green looks awesome at just 20mW, past 50mW would be godly. As for the 561nm presentation pointer, I feel veery tempted to order one right now.