Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of DX 150mW Baton Style

Well what can I say? This laser is awesome! I lit a unsharpied match in UNDER a second when focused! Thats a record for me :'((tears of joy). This burns way better than my 180mw WL Pulsar and its easier to wrap a zip tie around the button. I've left this on for about 10 minutes and it was only warm. I did another 5 minute test and the laser was still cold, except around the button which was warm. I dont regret buying this laser one bit. The first time I turned it on there was no light, the second time I turned the batteries around but still no light. Then I turned the arpeture shutter and bam I got blinded for a while :'( not by the green, but by the blue LED. It has a nice heavy feel and I love this laser. :) It took about two weeks from ordering till ariving to my door. When I ordered it, it was backordered but shipped on my birthday (June 6) which was only five days from clicking order. I suspect this is a laser that is meant for me :cool:

Pros:
Burns really well, it went through a floppy disk! :cool:
Heavy, solid.
Focusable.
Has an arpeture shutter.
Has a key for added safety.
Blue LED that turns on with the laser.
It's QC passed! :cool:

Cons:
The blue LED blinded me when the laser finally turned on.
The threads where the battery goes in wasn't pre-greased but a bit of WD-40 fixed that up.
The blue LED is a bit bright...
No IR filter but thats not a problem since I'm not going to be shining this around the house.

Overall I'm very impressed by this laser and I love it! The burning possiblities are endless with this! Can't wait for my Optotronics order to get here so I can start burning without my phone camera. I'll add pictures soon!

EDIT: Forgot to add a link sorry, got carried away playing with the laser :p http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12339

UPDATE: I have confirmed this laser is modehopping. Only for a split second when its cold though. Doesn't matter as long as it burns really nicely :-X

Update with pictures. Sorry for uploading them so late, I've been quite busy because I lost my usb and had to re-do my multimedia assignment :'(
DSC05553.jpg

DSC05555.jpg

DSC05556.jpg

DSC05557.jpg

DSC05558.jpg

DSC05559.jpg

DSC05560.jpg

DSC05564.jpg

DSC05565.jpg

Which one is it, got a link?

There's a ton of green lasers on DX these days, so saying the 'DX150 green' is a bit ambiguous :)

diachi

Good buy !

Pics please ??

Hope you have lots of fun with your new toy !

Diachi

Diachi said:
Good buy !

Pics please ??

Hope you have lots of fun with your new toy !

Diachi
Thanks. I'll post some pics tommorow when I get my safety glasses and a camera. You don't want pics from my phone, the quality sucks! :-/

Benm

This burns way better than my 180mw WL Pulsar

Isnt that mainly due to the focus on this laser? Or do you think its actually more powerful?

I love this laser too!
but i sent it back, the button was messed up, but it's VERY BRIGHT AND STRONG. the button barely lit up, it was the oppisite of yours lol.

Benm said:

Isnt that mainly due to the focus on this laser? Or do you think its actually more powerful?
My modded 180mw WL Pulsar is focusable. It was modded by SenKat. I don't know why but this green laser just burns faster than the Pulsar. I'm also using Energizer e2 advance in the Pulsar as well but this green still burns better... :-/

mikeeey said:
I love this laser too!
but i sent it back, the button was messed up, but it's VERY BRIGHT AND STRONG. the button barely lit up, it was the oppisite of yours lol.
Hope you get a good replacement laser :)

Benm

freshert said:
[quote author=Benm link=1213699039/0#4 date=1213721227]

My modded 180mw WL Pulsar is focusable. It was modded by SenKat. I don't know why but this green laser just burns faster than the Pulsar. I'm also using Energizer e2 advance in the Pulsar as well but this green still burns better... :-/[/quote]

Oic.. so that probably means this one has a little more power, right?

As for the mode hopping: You say it happens only for a brief moment when the laser is cold, so i guess that's basically okay. The only thing i wonder about is if this really is a thermal issue, which could become a major problem in winter. It is also possible that its caused by electrical instability of the driver, which would be better news.

I think a hot/cold issue isn't that likely given the size of this laser - it wont heat up enough in a second or so to make a difference - at least compared to the difference a 1 degree variation in ambien temperature would make.

Benm said:
[quote author=freshert link=1213699039/0#6 date=1213777578][quote author=Benm link=1213699039/0#4 date=1213721227]

My modded 180mw WL Pulsar is focusable. It was modded by SenKat. I don't know why but this green laser just burns faster than the Pulsar. I'm also using Energizer e2 advance in the Pulsar as well but this green still burns better... :-/[/quote]

Oic.. so that probably means this one has a little more power, right?

As for the mode hopping: You say it happens only for a brief moment when the laser is cold, so i guess that's basically okay. The only thing i wonder about is if this really is a thermal issue, which could become a major problem in winter. It is also possible that its caused by electrical instability of the driver, which would be better news.

I think a hot/cold issue isn't that likely given the size of this laser - it wont heat up enough in a second or so to make a difference - at least compared to the difference a 1 degree variation in ambien temperature would make.
[/quote]
I personally think its the battery. I never noticed the modehopping until today. I haven't charged the battery since I got the laser (I've used it for about half an hour) so I think its almost flat. I can't charge the battery because the adapter for the charger doesnt fit into my wall socket. I have to find a universal adapter. :-/ Anyone have any idea where I could get one in Australia? :-/

freshert said:
Anyone have any idea where I could get one in Australia? :-/

I picked a nice one up recently at Dick Smith.

Dick Smith or Jaycar should have one, and maybe Tandy.

The blue LED blinded me when the laser finally turned on.
by the way, if you were me, this would NOT be a con, it would be the first and most important PRO. lol

Benm

For the adapter, i'd guess any universal type would to. Otherwise, just put a plug that fit your socket on, those you can get at any hardware store. DX also carries convenient plug adapters from us to european and vice versa, but i doubt those work in australia ;)

As for the led - i guess that could be dimmed a bit by increasing its series resistor - can be done while hotwiring the switch ;)

quick question  i was wondering should i try to buy the KD 150mW Baton which some say its good but also said button sucks and bad service or the Dx 150mW baton....  or should i get the 200mW baton style one its only like 20 bucks more....

thanks

Razako

PbMonster said:
quick question i was wondering should i try to buy the KD 150mW Baton which some say its good but also said button sucks and bad service or the Dx 150mW baton.... or should i get the 200mW baton style one its only like 20 bucks more....

thanks
go for the 200