Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review: O-Like blu ray driver

Here is a review on O-Likes blu ray driver here is the link
405nm blu-ray laser diode driver [OLBVD20] - $6.59 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

I ordered two and just got them in hooked one up according to the pictures on o-likes web site and it didnt work so I messed around with it and hooked it up in different ways to see if I could get it to work and what do ya know I got it to work but not hooked up like o-likes pictures. Here is a video review (taken with my iPhone 4 to test out the HD :) ) that also shows the correct way to hook up the driver. I question VCC in the video I amuse its the positive from the battery, any way I am sure this the the correct way to hook it up because I tried it on my second driver and it worked like a charm. Word of warning of you get this driver the pot is extremely sensitive you barely move it and the current jumps like 15mA.

Final Thought
1. Good driver for low power diodes
2. Perfect for pen builds
3. Make sure that you hook up the wires according to what I have found out
4. CHEAP!!!
5. Definitely buy it again :)

YouTube - O-Like blu ray driver review

Let me know if this helps anyone :)

Justin

Last edited:

SHIN

Thank you. iknitsreel.

I built my AW210 after you.:yh:

SHIN

No problem I just thought I would share the right way to hook up these drivers so people know

btw this is my first video review :)!

Justin

Thank you for the review, and sharing the corect way to power it!

Have you check to see if it will put out 250ma? The reason I ask, the old drivers where said to be 50-200ma. But only put out around 180ma and thay also had the finicky pot so it was hard to get the ma you where after. These new drivers might power a sf-aw or ggw nicely if thay can hit at least 200ma.
If you check can you tell us what battery you use to test :yh:

Thank you for the review, and sharing the corect way to power it!

Have you check to see if it will put out 250ma? The reason I ask, the old drivers where said to be 50-200ma. But only put out around 180ma and thay also had the finicky pot so it was hard to get the ma you where after. These new drivers might power a sf-aw or ggw nicely if thay can hit at least 200ma.
If you check can you tell us what battery you use to test :yh:

Sorry the drivers are already in the pen builds but I did have one of the drivers up past 200mA if i remember correct around 230mA or so but I dont know if thats the highest it will go I just remember that

the pot is VERY touchy barely move it and it jumps like 10 or 15 mA I had a little trouble setting the current but I finally got it

when I was testing it I was using two AAA batteries hope this helps

Justin

Most excellent! I was hoping you would say over 200ma.
I had ben debateing on adding a button to a old driver, or geting the new driver for a 6x pen buld.
I'm geting the new one now.

Thank you :D

No problem villalaser glad to help you :)

And thanks Prototype I am selling it on CPF if there is more interest in one I may make another one :) but they are a bit pricey lol

tritium is pretty cool I make keychains and such with tritium in them lol

Justin

Thanks for info regarding the driver, I recieved mine today and had to follow your setup to get it to work. Although I can only get it to output 140mA. That's okay for the build it's in but dissapointing considering it is supposed to output up to 250mA. +1

Humm may just be a fluke thing that I got around 230mA out of mine or maybe a fluke thing that yours is only pitting out 140mA or maybe these drivers are just jumpy in what they put out but they work great for PHR builds or low power builds hope they work for everyone !!

Justin

Very cool. I have 10 of these on my work bench for this weekend.

Question: whats with the red wire shorting the transformer>?

Question: whats with the red wire shorting the transformer>?

Thats not a transformer its a switch, its just bypassing the switch so I dont have to push it to turn it on when setting the current I dont have that many hands lol but good observation :D

Justin

So...
________
Positive power ----> O
-----------
________
Laser diode - ----> O
Laser diode + ----> O
------------

And not...
________
Laser diode + ----> O
-----------
________
Laser diode - ----> O
Power + ----> O
------------

Is this right ?

Very good to know, I was considering picking one of these up to. This information will come in very handy in the future.

Hi, If you want to beef it up on any laser diode try the Flexmod driver. 405nm kick out power with it or 445nm's also. you would like it. I did get my first Flexmod and WOW. Have a safe one. JH