Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Retractable head build.

Giannis_TDM

So I was bored today and this idea came to mind. What if you could have a laser that could actually get smaller in length when you have it without batteries? So I went ahead and built a prototype:
IMG_20201203_135620.jpg
IMG_20201203_135640.jpg

140mw 455 sharp single mode is the diode I used and the build uses a single 10440. and my 1A boost driver.
IMG_20201203_135530.jpg

I put together the host with some spare alu and steel tubes and a nice little switch on the back and polished it.
Thanks for looking!

Cool idea. You could probably get more retraction if the battery compartment were larger, instead of the laser head.
Or you could have a middle section that collapses into the battery compartment (so it would be thinner in the middle).

Practical? Maybe not. But it would be interesting if it could accommodate different battery sizes depending on how much its retracted or expanded.

bulukaki

Interesting! So it's like one of those old telescopes...

What if Sanwu makes a Pocket II model that can collapse to a third of its length without battery...

if you mean a casing that you can adjust the length depending on the battery size and/or the number of battery and/or just if there is battery or no battery, i got an idea of a casing like that i saw on a vape a long time ago.
ima try to recreate a 3d model of what im thinking of. hopefully it will be helpfull.
(dimensions might not be accurate im just making a rough model )

here is the rough demo of my idea. i didnt bother making it with tolerances or making a spot for the diode and driver. its just a rough concept demo