Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Researchers build world's most powerful terahertz laser chip

worldrecordt.jpg

(Phys.org) —University of Leeds researchers have taken the lead in the race to build the world's most powerful terahertz laser chip.

Read more at: Researchers build world's most powerful terahertz laser chip

I wonder if these will be restricted to LOC type diodes as window/lens materials for such long wave radiation are hard to find/fabricate. I could be wrong, it has been a while since I looked into the transmission properties of common materials at the intended wavelengths.

Before anyone else says it, can it pop a balloon?

but seriously, that is really amazing.

Professor Linfield said: "The process of making these lasers is extraordinarily delicate. Layers of different semiconductors such as gallium arsenide are built up one atomic monolayer at a time. We control the thickness and composition of each individual layer very accurately and build up a semiconductor material of between typically 1,000 and 2,000 layers. The record power of our new laser is due to the expertise that we have developed at Leeds in fabricating these layered semiconductors, together with our ability to engineer these materials subsequently into suitable and powerful laser devices."

How amazing would it be to have access to that technology? Science continues to blow my mind, not only lasers in particular. Thanks for sharing this information with us, Steve!

I wonder if these will be restricted to LOC type diodes as window/lens materials for such long wave radiation are hard to find/fabricate. I could be wrong, it has been a while since I looked into the transmission properties of common materials at the intended wavelengths.

With what these lasers are used for, I highly doubt they will be ever put into traditional diode form factors that we are used to. Probably will be similar to bar arrays (whatever form factor that is), or maybe even just the chips like the picture in that article. After all, no one really needs a terahertz handheld ;)

Right, my point wasn't about the laser pointer community or handheld/portable application, but rather the factors involved in applying such a device for even the intended purposes. Bare chips are easily damaged and without a window of some kind usually are restricted to clean cells or rooms. There's no reason why it couldn't be put into a C-mount type housing or any other TO type depending on manufacturing decisions, but the end application usually requires the use of windows or transmission lines regardless of the chip housing.

A short search leads me to the opinion a silicon lens would be used

With what these lasers are used for, I highly doubt they will be ever put into traditional diode form factors that we are used to. Probably will be similar to bar arrays (whatever form factor that is), or maybe even just the chips like the picture in that article. After all, no one really needs a terahertz handheld ;)

I'd bet there will be a need for a portable terahertz laser.

before anyone else says it, can it pop a balloon?

But seriously, that is really amazing.

How amazing would it be to have access to that technology? Science continues to blow my mind, not only lasers in particular. Thanks for sharing this information with us, steve!

��