Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

research done, confirmation requested

mkay

I would like to build a laser, my research has led me to 405nm.

I intend to buy a host and send it to Croatia to have a heatsink milled, whilst this is being done I will purchase enough eyewear for my household, I quite like univet 563's. Could anyone recommend a high grade pair of goggles that will fit a 10yr old? (Nb, she will not be using the laser, she will just be a spectator)

Then I will build said laser, if I am correct I believe I want a 12x BR diode and to accomplish my desired task 500mw.

The task I have in mind is to cut open a Silage bale,
Silage wrap is black Polyethylene cling film 25micron and a bale is wrapped in six layers, so
Black Polyethylene 150microns thick, cutting at >12"..

Any suggestions or comments welcome

Hap

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like to build a laser, my research has led me to 405nm.

I intend to buy a host and send it to Croatia to have a heatsink milled, whilst this is being done I will purchase enough eyewear for my household, I quite like univet 563's. Could anyone recommend a high grade pair of goggles that will fit a 10yr old? (Nb, she will not be using the laser, she will just be a spectator)

Then I will build said laser, if I am correct I believe I want a 12x BR diode and to accomplish my desired task 500mw.

The task I have in mind is to cut open a Silage bale,
Silage wrap is black Polyethylene cling film 25micron and a bale is wrapped in six layers, so
Black Polyethylene 150microns thick, cutting at >12"..

Any suggestions or comments welcome
10 year old? :undecided:
Wow....

Anyway, survivallasers has some great goggles! Pretty cheap and most protect a vast number of wavelengths up to 10W of power...

Last edited:

Tmack

A 445 would allow you to get much more power. Wondering why you choose 405?

Tmack

Lol maybe. By if his purpose is burning, a 445 nm would certainly be much more effective. Thousands of mw, opposed to hundreds . Unless that wavelength effect the material differently .??

Tmack

I would think the power would make up the difference. But he did say he did his research . :).

Tmack

Cutting black plastic doesn't sound wavelength specific. My 445 cut through black plastic like a razor. But the 405 should be fine for this task as well. Maybe he wants just enough to cut his material. If so , great choice.

Tmack

Lol pick one . I got two more coming! One a dual diode :) 6w from Tomsk

I don't think a 405 should be utilized. They burn, yeah, however 445 is available in higher powers and we all should know that the more power, the better the cut,

Tmack

I agree cantthinkofone . I just wanted to ask him why he choose 405 , when 445 1-2-3w can be achieved quite easily and cheaply, Ahh. Canthinkofone beat me.

Last edited:

mkay

Thankyou everyone.

In answer to the specific questions, I do like the wavelength, althought I do like all the wave lengths!

As I mentioned my 10 year old daughter loves science and shooting and achery and just about everything I get upto, so I know she will be at my side when I endeavour to cut open the bale.

I do like the wavelength, althought I do like all the wave lengths! Once I have built this pocket sized one I have no doubt I will begin another. I already have ideas of a >2.4w 445nm in a huge heat sink on a Blackshadow Terminator.

To begin with though I want a minimum wattage 405nm.

I thought this might be a suitable host-

Solarforce P1 18650/CR123A Forward Clicky Flashlight Host - Green | eBay

with a custom heatsink, G1 lense, a diode from laserer, I have forgoten the driver, I will have to backtrack...

Tmack

You could drop that material through a 2w 445 beam and cut it. It's like writing with a sharpie only cutting. Very easy from a good distance too.

Understandable that you want to keep the first one moderate. You will find that people here will respect that decision

Last edited:

mkay

Yes just like that.

Thankyou for the link to DTR, I had been on a few weeks ago before deciding on a WL but had forgoten about his shop..

12X S06J Bluray Diode In Copper Module W/Microboost & 405-G-2 Glass Lens
sounds suitable in 500mw

mkay

I appreciate its not exactly low wattage but nor is it a Blord 2,4w 445. Do you think I will get reliable cuts from a lower wattage? From all the treads I had read- I had come to the conclusion that less would not give me the range or cutting speed I would need.