Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Require Help in building a high power Laser(Noob)

Hi all,
I am about to get a small, cheap disco laser which contains both a red as well as green laser diode. Just checking out the box of that laser showed that the green diode operates at >8mw and the red diode at >80mw.
I have, for a very long period of time, wanted to make a 200 mw laser(which I know is not possible with those low power diodes due to my lack of knowledge in the particular field), and so I hoped to acquire some instructions and advice from someone of more experience and knowing.
Some of the questions that arise in my mind are these-
What is the maximum power output that I can get these laser diodes to work?
Should I use the original driver board which "should" be present in the laser device or some of the other ones that I have collected during my so-called-research?
What is the current that I should use on the diodes?

I am preferring to have a green laser than the red one, so it would be much appreciated if you would guide me to making a green laser with the green diode. Another doubt:- After observing the given output power of the diodes present in the laser device, the class written on it was 3A. Any idea why it shouldn't be 3B as both the output powers in the diodes are <5 mw?
PS:- I have a mag light housing which can have 2 AA batteries. So how should I 'make' it 'perfectly'?
Sorry for the lack of information and Thanks in advance...
Bhaskar

The class rating also takes into account the beam size. A 10mm wide beam is safer than a 1mm wide beam of the same power. I suggest using whatever they've installed for a while before you decide to modify it. When in doubt, use more fog. Their power choice will be adequate for medium/small rooms with enough fog.

Why would I use fog? No offence, but you really haven't answered my question.. :wave:

You can probably push those diodes past their maximum with relative safety once you learn what the current requirements for each are. Before you tear apart your new toy, look at the datasheets, find out what diodes you have in it, and then do your homework.

Nobody here knows just what you have, let alone the diodes/modules in it, so you won't get a satisfactory answer to your questions.

So, play with it, read and SEARCH the forums, do your homework. You might just get another diode to play with and keep your disco toy for fun.

Ok, so I got the green and the red diodes out, and turned the diodes on, but the dot coming out of the green diode(beam diameter) increases from very very thin to about 2cm from across the room. I tried to readjust the lens, but no matter what I do, the beam diameter increases to a very wide projection.
How do I make the beam diameter be consistent as a dot at any distance and parallel? Please help.

It's probably made that way intentionally because, like Cyparagon said up there, wide beam is theoretically safer than thin beam of the same power.

Since it's some sort of project-like toy, it's reasonable to assume you'd want wide beams just in case people walk into them.

Not sure how you'd go about correcting that, there are no "plug and play" lens solutions for DPSS assemblies, you'll have to improvise that one. Could be quite difficult.