Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

[REQ MET] Looking for a mentor or a place to learn

Just a person or a place where i can learn how to build lasers from scratch and understand what specific components do and how the electricity behind them works.
I haven't really found many places that explain in detail.
-Ryan :thanks:

Last edited:

Encap

Re: [REQ] Looking for a mentor or a place to learn

There is no one person or place--no reason for there to be for many reasons.

For a in depth education int all of the several disciplines and areas of knowledge involved you need to find a College or University in Estonia. and take some courses.

The hands on making of one + place: internet and here on LPF + just go ahead and build one from a simple easy to assemble kit id a start.

See: this thread: https://laserpointerforums.com/f51/i-want-build-laser-thread-52972.html

You can purchase a complete kit, easy to assemble: https://www.survivallaser.com/

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
For me the magical land of google was a great place to start learning. And then you can move onto asking the lovely bunch of mentors/members on LPF.
Those two things coupled together seemed to help me. ;)

Now, as for detailed knowledge. It really depends on what aspect of lasers you want to learn.

Good luck on your endeavor to learn more about building lasers. You have been given some good advice already. If you can't take some courses at a local university, you always have google and Sam's Laser FAQ. It also helps to have a background in physics or electronics.

Last edited:
Just a person or a place where i can learn how to build lasers from scratch and understand what specific components do and how the electricity behind them works.
I haven't really found many places that explain in detail.
-Ryan :thanks:

There's this not so new thing called the internet and it's just flooded with information, but finding a " mentor " to spoon feed you may be difficult.

You can go to youtube and literally watch tutorials about how to repurpose commonly available lasers, learn the fundamentals, learn about types of lasers, the history, the expected future and new innovations, it's all there for you if you have the will to look for it.

Last edited:
^^^ What they said ^^^^
To my knowledge there are no members
here that have the spare time to tutor or
mentor you exclusively.
The last time I checked there was no spoon
feeding here....:cryyy:

You are welcome to read any and all info on
this Forum for free.

As was stated above... Take some courses
in your area...

Since you are posting here it is obvious you
have access to the internet...
Google is your friend, Tutor and Mentor... just
like it still is for many of us here.

Jerry

Exactly Jerry.
That's how I learnt / am learning.
Nobody was willing to come all the way Downunder to teach me....

:crackup:

If you had a job building or refurbishing lasers, there might be someone who would mentor you. When I was very young and starting out in electronics I had an older coworker who took the time to mentor me. But, that was a totally different situation than you have here.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Lol, double yolks it is. :D
Now what should I bring along that will be allowed by AUS customs?

CONGRATULATIONS to cyberdoc for his recent milestone of 4+ million rep points. :wave:

Since you are all having fun preparing for this pretend BBQ, I guess I will come too. Yippie! :tinfoil:

This BBQ is shaping up to be an all time classic!
CDoc,Curtis and Paul, all ready signed up.
Get in quick the rest of you.

I'm getting the shrimp ready and making goanna souvlaki.
I'll be serving Kangaroo Haggis and vegies from our home grown garden.
Have I forgotten anything?
Oh, yes, Donk has some home brew made to wash it all down with.

Curtis, hmmm, Aussie Customs doesn't allow anything through.
Bring youself over and I'll have everything here for you mate.

:crackup:

RB

Oh, man, I used to make my own beer back in the early 1990s. Learned a great deal about how to make some really fantastic brews. It was set up more like an organic chemistry lab experiment as I sterilized everything and boiled my malt quite a long time. Could get a nice Bock that had an alcohol content around 7%. When I moved from Colorado to Montana I gave all my stuff away as I didn't have room to move it all. :(

Oh, man, I used to make my own beer back in the early 1990s. Learned a great deal about how to make some really fantastic brews. It was set up more like an organic chemistry lab experiment as I sterilized everything and boiled my malt quite a long time. Could get a nice Bock that had an alcohol content around 7%. When I moved from Colorado to Montana I gave all my stuff away as I didn't have room to move it all. :(

Wow, that's excellent Paul.
I, too, used to brew my own beer, Ginger Beer, Alc.Apple cider.
MY favourite was Bock and it too was a whopping ~7%.
I'm going to get back into it !!

Also make my own wine.
The current batch is a lovely Cabernet Sauvignon made from South Australian grapes that I source from a good supplier.
We de-stem the grapes to minimise the tannins, then crush, then press into two 360 litre wooden barrels.
My current batch is three years old and it's lovely.

Image-1.jpg

Image-2.jpg

Image-3.jpg

RB

:beer:

Last edited:
That's so cool, Andrew. I tried making wine a few times, but I didn't care for wine as much as I liked a really good dark beer. Looks like you are making everything you can. ;)