Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Replace module and be back in business?

Here's a pic of a 5mw green that I bought from Z-Bolt many years ago. The laser has since been dead for a while now but I managed to get it apart without destroying it. So now my question is can I just replace the old module and be back in business? Maybe even put a much higher power (100mw) module in it? The old module is of standard 12mm diameter so I'm thinking a module from O-Like or some other company would work just fine in the host body.

Attachments

• old_green.jpg
    old_green.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 89

check the diameter. if its 12mm you can use any 12mm o-like module to replace the old one. you may not get to use the end cap and other stuff from the aperature end but youll have a fairly custom laser made to your specs..

check the diameter. if its 12mm you can use any 12mm o-like module to replace the old one. you may not get to use the end cap and other stuff from the aperature end but youll have a fairly custom laser made to your specs..

Yep, I doubled check my measurement and its exactly 12mm. I have noticed the O-Like modules are around 60mm in length but it doesn't say if the measurement is just for the brass part or the entire module including the driver board. I sent Susie a question about that. If it is for the entire module then I would probably be able to reuse the end cap by removing the plastic housing inside the case that prevents the module from sliding too far down.... wait a minute, the plastic part inside only helps support the driver, its the screw on end cap that actually prevents it from sliding too far down. Problem solved, all I would have to do is add some more plastic (Crayola marker body) into the barrel to keep the new module from sliding down too far and then use a 10440 battery with a spacer to power it!!!

Here's one more question - do the modules bought online include the optics? If not then I would have to re-use the aperture that came with the laser.

Here's one more question - do the modules bought online include the optics? If not then I would have to re-use the aperture that came with the laser.

you mean like o-likes greenie modules? if so then yes but they dont have an ir filter. you can use the aperature cap if it fits but its not necassary..

Here's one last question - the red button on the old module, what does it do? This is the first time I've ever had this pointer pulled apart so this is the first time I've noticed that button.

you mean the one in the pic in the first post? its the power switch. most of the time you dont see the bare button. most companies dress it up by putting a "cover button" over the actual button.

Hmm... that's interesting seeing how the 'user' switch is in the tail-cap. I'm guessing then that this switch was left in the 'on' position so that the tailcap switch would make or break the circuit?

Hmm... that's interesting seeing how the 'user' switch is in the tail-cap. I'm guessing then that this switch was left in the 'on' position so that the tailcap switch would make or break the circuit?

it may just be a switch the module came with. the manufacturer may have bypassed that switch to put one in the tail cap. its just another power switch either way..

That makes sense... if the O-Like modules have a switch on them then I will have to figure out how to bypass it so I can use the one in the tailcap.

Thanks for the info, I am looking forward to having another green pointer again. Worst case, I could use the casing for another Blu-ray... lol.

just place a piece of wire from one side of the switch(switch contacts) to the other and it will bypass the switch on the driver