Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Replace Diode=more mw?

Hi guys. As I said in the noob thread I'd like to build a high powered red laser. I do have some electronics experience, so soldering, desoldering, etc...is no biggie.
I'm wondering why you guys are building DVR lasers and hooking them straight to the batteries with maybe a diode or resistor to regulate the voltage? Wouldn't it be easier just to buy a cheapo AApowered red, do a pot mod(maybe even not) and replace the diode? That's kind of what I'm thinking is the way to go for simplicity's sake...The way I understand it is that
It's the Diode that determines the power draw and mW output isn't it? 3 volts is three volts, so couldn't I just use the poached driver to power a pokeyer diode and proceed to burn some of the spiders that scare my girlfriend(and me) so much??
Comments, advice, warnings of peril are much appreciated...

EDIT: I'd really appreciate it if you guys could point me to some good reputable vendors to source my raw materials. Googling is nice, but you still have to separate the good sellers from the iffy/bad ones...

check the "list of laser resources" sticky under the "general" subcategory - most of these are pretty reputable companies

DS -
The low powered red lasers have a series resistor if cheap and the more expensive ones have a driver board but maybe no pot. These low power units run at around 40 mA of current.
The LD's we talk about need 2.8 to 3.2 volts and run at 200+ mA. Those little drivers probably aren't made for that current. Hey -- Give it a try and report back. We're all here to learn.

Mike

Ah, didn't think the current would be that much higher, just thought the DVR Diodes were more efficient. What's that they say about assuming stuff? lol
Well then...I suppose that answers my question...

Steve, that EU-38 looks perfect, as far as this noobert brain can tell. Anyone else wanna comment? Where are the prices? If that thing is more than a full tank of gas shipped I'll be doing the direct-to-battery thing...