Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Rep system

Bring back the rep system?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Yes but moderated

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • No people cannot be trusted with it

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Im Greek

It's cool that you dont ban peoples unfair and give opportunity to join. Definitely i would have to give +rep guys who make useful advice's and gaids, laser sellers, peoples who make great laser stuf

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I don't know exactly what is technically possible under Xenomorph Forum, but restricting a +/- rep to one point up or down would go a long way in preventing the problems we had before where there was exponential growth due to "rep power" increasing with rep points. Also if possible I would restrict +/- rep to content in the on topic section. That was another issue, people just plus repping their buddy on gifs in the politics or religion thread that have nothing to do with lasers. I remember some of these ideas were passed around during The Rep System Flamewars , the 8th Great Drama Era of LPF history, but we could not implement them to the limits of the old forum software.

The rep content will still be moderated as per the global forum rules, so outright abusive behavior or harassment will be dealt with.

Eidetical

I wish there was an AI judge to determine reputation, rewarding positive feedback and seeking out and punishing the use of logical fallacies.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
If we're going to be judged by machines, it should at least be by cute anime maid robots.

Eidetical

Simple rules to follow. If a person can't make their points without illogical and deflecting garbage, why allow them to continue? Enforce the top ten and the stupid will be stopped in their uninformed tracks. Just sayin'.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Simple rules to follow. If a person can't make their points without illogical and deflecting garbage, why allow them to continue? Enforce the top ten and the stupid will be stopped in their uninformed tracks. Just sayin'.
Normally I agree but we need more members. I've been forcing myself to make compromises I don't like to preserve member count. Otherwise I would just do my job plain and simple whether people like it or not.

Eidetical

You don't think diverting members' attention and/or discussion to a discord page discourages them to post here? Just curious.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I don't think it makes a big difference if any at all. Long before Discord existed, back when LPF was much more active, we always had an IRC channel associated with LPF and most people would post regularly in both places.

I doubt the issue with less activity on the forum has anything to do with the Discord channel, but more likely the problem is that heavy restrictions on handheld lasers in many countries have driven people from the hobby, which is really unfortunate, but absolutely nothing we can do about that.

I for one don't care for rep systems, reminds me of Reddit. I hate Reddit.

I like the Like feature in posts, if you don't like a post, you can let them know w/o typing a thing.

Normally I agree but we need more members. I've been forcing myself to make compromises I don't like to preserve member count. Otherwise I would just do my job plain and simple whether people like it or not.
I see LaserBee hasn't been on in a while, has that not helped boost members? :ROFLMAO:

The rep deal is useless as people who have been members longer will have more points than a newer person who is much more knowledgeable/helpful.

It would always be slanted by groups of friends who rep each other for anything/everything.

New members with real value they could add to the forum will be turned off by the " less abled " with a pile of pity votes, also you will see the negative repers who thrill with punishing people over minor things and new members will get the worst of it as they have very little if any ability to fight back.

You could let only the moderators dole out rep points, but I have heard mods complain about having too much to do already, so that's not fair to ask of them, plus it could create hard feelings between mods and members when people feel like they haven't been repped enough.

Maybe just let it be based on math, the number of posts times the number of days a person has been a member......but that's kind of what it is minus the bs anyway, so why alienate new members with some big rep number above everyone's head and a little number over theirs making them an easy target ?

Hell why not post everyone's annual income, home value/net worth, attractiveness of their significant other, just anything to let people judge each other at a glance based on flawed criteria ...........I tell you why not, because people will grow to know who can be trusted and who's more knowledgeable by participating over time.
Couldn't have said it any better RC...
Been there... Done that. A lot less Drama since the Rep System was brought down...

Jerry