Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Reed Switches for secret safety switch - DONE

danq

this is done - all spoken for.
but feel free to PM me if you want some - if there's enough interest I'll make up an order for some of the really tiny switches, 1/4" long - better than what I got on eBay - but will cost 75c each + mailing expenses (unless I find another cheap source)

Got some tiny magnetic reed switches really cheap yesterday (25c), and did a little testing... found that a DX neodymium mini-magnet will activate them at about 1/2 inch distance through shrink tubing. So... my next laser will have a built-in hidden switch that will change it from a 5mw pointer to a 200mw burner just by moving the magnet from the tailcap to a different spot on the body!

Goldmine has these for a buck each, but I've seen them somewhere else cheaper than that.

ah, found some eBays:
eBay
I just bid on them... if nobody competes they'll be about $0.20 each after postage - cheap enough to send out a couple free to anyone sending me a stamped envelope. We'll see.

DanQ

jake21

Re: Reed Switches for secret safety switch

im in for some if u win

danq

Just to add, I'll check out their operation and post what I find before sending any out - maybe I should have made sure of that before posting - but I'm not asking for any $ upfront, mainly want to get the idea out there. Will post when I get them.

DanQ

25c each sounds heavenly, ill take 2!

wow i throw these things away usually but not anymore

Daedal

Put me down for 10... 20... just put me down for a bunch of these at a quarter a piece... :D ;D

--DDL

danq

Hold on a sec, gang... I received them and they're not quite as small as I expected - still small though.

Here's what I know:
  • body (glass) is about .75" x .1"
  • leads about .75" long each side
  • a bit fragile - you've got to watch out when bending the leads
  • sensitivity - how to quantify?
    • a ferrite magnet measuring .4"x .25"x.75" will trigger the switch from about 5/8" away
    • a .25" dia. neodymium magnet from DX doesn't trigger it as well (the difference may be the shape of the mag field)
I also ordered some really small ones from Newark - about .25" long. They switch at about 3/4" away with the same magnet, and their leads are much more flexible... but they cost 70c each, it's being discontinued and when they run out the substitute is $3.17!

OK, that said...

The eBay switches were cheap enough that I'm willing to give away a few to people until I run out, or until I get tired of doing it. The only problem is mailing and packaging, it's going to cost more than they're worth to mail 'em. And I'm not sure how much padding they'll need to survive the trip... give me a little time to figure out the details and then I'll post how to get them.

DanQ

danq said:
Hold on a sec, gang... I received them and they're not quite as small as I expected - still small though.

Here's what I know:
  • body (glass) is about .75" x .1"
  • leads about .75" long each side
  • a bit fragile - you've got to watch out when bending the leads
  • sensitivity - how to quantify?
    • a ferrite magnet measuring  .4"x .25"x.75" will trigger the switch from about 5/8" away
    • a .25" dia. neodymium magnet from DX doesn't trigger it as well (the difference may be the shape of the mag field)
I also ordered some really small ones from Newark - about .25" long. They switch at about 3/4" away with the same magnet, and their leads are much more flexible... but they cost 70c each, it's being discontinued and when they run out the substitute is $3.17!

OK, that said...

The eBay switches were cheap enough that I'm willing to give away a few to people until I run out, or until I get tired of doing it. The only problem is mailing and packaging, it's going to cost more than they're worth to mail 'em.  And I'm not sure how much padding they'll need to survive the trip... give me a little time to figure out the details and then I'll post how to get them.

DanQ

if they are free ill take 5-10 (i could help money wise on shipping for my reed switches) remeber, i was the second one in on this!!!

danq

amkdeath said:
if they are free ill take 5-10 (i could help money wise on shipping for my reed switches) remeber, i was the second one in on this!!!
not to worry, you will be dealt with accordingly... ;-)

danq

OK, here's the deal - it's going to be simplified:

the first 8 people to ask will be sent 10 of the eBay switches; and one of the tiny ones from Newark -- no charge for any of it. If there are less than 8 takers by the end of the week (Feb. 16th) I'll just send more to those who asked for them.

all ya gotta do is PM me with a mailing address. I'll spring for postage and packing.

So far I have:

jake21
amkdeath
Daedal
bcroft (PM'd already)

so that leaves room for 4 more...
and of course if I goofed and your name isn't in the list, please correct me!

In the future, if people get jazzed about these switches as a good idea, I'd consider doing a true Group Buy of the little ones.

one last thought - these switches have limited capacity - I the tiny Newark one is 500mA - not likely to be a problem for most handheld pointers, but in higher powered devices you'll want to put this switch in a low-power control point rather than as a main current switch.

DanQ

chido

PM sent, I'm the 5th one. ;D

desslok said:
[quote author=chido link=1200890810/0#10 date=1202819896]PM sent, I'm the 5th one. ;D

6th!
[/quote]

7th, i hope ;D

Reactions: ARG

danq

ok - added Zachios, desslok, chido, Ethator that's 8 total - we're done!
the list is:

• jake21
  • amkdeath
  • Daedal
  • bcroft
  • Zachios
  • desslok
  • chido
  • Ethator
I'll send them asap.
:)
DanQ

Reactions: ARG

danq said:
ok - added Zachios, desslok, chido, Ethator that's 8 total - we're done!
the list is:

• jake21 (need mailing addr)
  • amkdeath
  • Daedal (need mailing addr)
  • bcroft
  • Zachios (need mailing addr)
  • desslok
  • chido
  • Ethator
I'll  send them asap.
:)
DanQ

WOOOTS I <3 Free stuff!!!

now what do these things do again?? LOL JK!!

thanks man,

amk