Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

reducing "bat wing/halo" effect

I was thinking about applying some dark, flat, high heat engine paint to the inside of a standard focus ring to hopefully reduce the halo around my dot, I have a 2w 445 so I know I'm not going to completely eliminate the ring I'm hoping it will reduce its presence a little.
I was going to try a dark flat grey has anyone tried anything like this?

Edit: I got a custom focus ring coming so I can experiment with this one I'm open for suggestions

Last edited:

That bat wing is what you get wit multimode diodes. The only way to trim is to make the aprature smaller...causing heat....and loss of power.

If you want a clean dot buy a singlemode diode. Do some more reading on the forum before commiting funds ...and time to a project that will fail.

:beer:

Blord

You can try another lens. Not all lenses are the same. Sometimes changing lenses in the same batch will reduced the halo's or can cause just more. Your mileage may vary.

That bat wing is what you get wit multimode diodes. The only way to trim is to make the aprature smaller...causing heat....and loss of power.

If you want a clean dot buy a singlemode diode. Do some more reading on the forum before commiting funds ...and time to a project that will fail.

:beer:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/there-something-wrong-my-beam-spot-59400.html

I'm talking about the reflection off the focus ring. Check the link halfway down you'll see..

edit: i do get different "rings" and "splash" with different lenses and focus rings.. ive selected one that produces very little "noise" and "splash" its a 3 element and im going to paint the focus ring today and see what happens the less reflection i can get the better

Last edited:
The emitter itself has wings around the emission point. Since the laser beam is simply a projection of the emitter, you'll never be able to get rid of the wings entirely... unless you've got a micrometer-thin paint brush or something like that.

Might make it worse, but you could try sanding the inside of the focus ring with a rolled up piece of sand paper (obviously, after removing the lens barrel. Don't wanna sand the lenses!). Might end up with a more diffuse reflection that would be harder to notice.

Might make it worse, but you could try sanding the inside of the focus ring with a rolled up piece of sand paper (obviously, after removing the lens barrel. Don't wanna sand the lenses!). Might end up with a more diffuse reflection that would be harder to notice.

I sanded and painted it already, waiting for it to dry. I used the wrong term its not bat wings, more of an outer halo. It's not as prevalent without the ring.