Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

red laser problems

ok so i am new here and i just burnt out a sony 16x dvd laser diode i bought this from stonetek
and so i am wondering what would cause the diode to randomly burn out.
i am well i was running this diode at 280ma because i wanted to be a little under the 300ma recommended current for these diodes.
this really annoyed me beause i had it working really well for a couple of days then is just stopped.

thanks

daguin

danbolsom said:
ok so i am new here and i just burnt out a sony 16x dvd laser diode i bought this from stonetek
and so i am wondering what would cause the diode to randomly burn out.
i am well i was running this diode at 280ma because i wanted to be a little under the 300ma recommended current for these diodes.
this really annoyed me beause i had it working really well for a couple of days then is just stopped.

thanks

Sorry. There's nor nearly enough information here to be able to posit a theory so here are some random causes of diode failure.

burned too long
not enough heat sinking
short circuit
intermittent connection
voltage spike
significant impact
ESD
driver failure
diode damaged by overheating during harvesting
Wilkin's Wobble
holding your tongue in the wrong corner of your mouth

Choose any one you want and rebuild your laser. ;)

Peace,
dave

oo wow ok didnt know there were so many damn variables ..... thanks though
now i am looking into either a 20x open can diode or a bluray 803t what driver, current and voltage should i run these at

thanks

daguin

danbolsom said:
oo wow ok didnt know there were so many damn variables ..... thanks though
now i am looking into either a 20x open can diode or a bluray 803t what driver, current and voltage should i run these at

thanks

Yeah. Sometimes we just can't know "why?" We just rebuild and go on.

The 20X should be a long open can. You can run it at 400-420mA. That should give you 230-250mW.

The PHR-803T should be run below 150mA. If you want it to last a long time, run it at no more than 130mA

I use either the Rkcstr or the flexdrive in my builds. Why re-invent a working tool?

Peace,
dave

i know a fair amount about the rkcsrt driver but what about the flexdrive ? do you need to run 2.25v above the diodes voltage or is that only with the rkcstr driver

daguin

danbolsom said:
i know a fair amount about the rkcsrt driver but what about the flexdrive ? do you need to run 2.25v above the diodes voltage or is that only with the rkcstr driver

The flexdrive is a "boost/buck" driver.  It takes between 2.5-5.5 volts and boosts or reduces the voltage to whatever is needed.

Peace,
dave

daguin

danbolsom said:
which is better to fit into a small host in your opinion

Neither is "better." They are different.

The Rkcstr is thinner. The flexdrive is shorter. The Rkcstr cannot be trimmed down. The flexdrive can be trimmed down on one dimension. The Rkcstr needs at least 6V for reds and 7.5V for violets. The Rkcstr cannot take more than 12V. The flexdrive needs 2.5V-5.5V The flexdrive cannot take more than 5.5V The Rkcstr converts excess voltage to heat. The flexdrive generates very little heat.

You choose. I make the decision of which one to use based on space available, and battery configuration available.

Peace,
dave