Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red laser on a chip with PD arrays - is there a housing for it?

Dude, just make a bottoming tap. That's what I did. Take a plug tap, and grind the end off until you have threads all the way to the end. Then tap your hole with another plug tap, then chase that with the bottoming tap you just made. Works fine. I've done it a lot making focus rings.

None of the ones I torture tested made it much past 230mW before LEDing. But that's been a while. I forgot exactly what they came out of. Some kind of aopen drive.

Dude, just make a bottoming tap. That's what I did. Take a plug tap, and grind the end off until you have threads all the way to the end. Then tap your hole with another plug tap, then chase that with the bottoming tap you just made. Works fine. I've done it a lot making focus rings.
I see what you mean. I guess grinding 2+ mm off of a ⌀9mm tap made of HSS is not exactly my definition of fun ;) These taps are expensive ($20+ and some are at $150+ even) and I would rather get one that's profiled properly all the way to the tip if I can . If I can't find one, I would do as you said.

None of the ones I torture tested made it much past 230mW before LEDing. But that's been a while. I forgot exactly what they came out of. Some kind of aopen drive.

230mW output is more than enough for my application although more is always better of course. Even if it's 150mW continuous, I'd say it can do some useful work.

I'm looking for an output meter at the moment. When I get one, I'll do some LD torturing of my own and post results here.

Where are you getting them from? Victor Machinery Exchange has them for $4.80 each. Though they have a $25 minimum order, but there's usually other stuff they sell that I can find that I need when I order stuff. And grinding the end off one isn't really time consuming. Took me maybe a minute to do the last one on the bench grinder. grind, dunk, grind, dunk, etc. Just keep dunking it in water to cool it so you don't overheat it and it works fine. I don't know, maybe it comes from being perpetually broke, but I just prefer to make my own tooling when I can.. I don't think i've ever even bought actual cutting bits for the lathe. I just grind them myself.

HS Metric Plug Taps for hand tapping

And actually, for your application, a 405nm laser would work better. You can get higher powers, and the wavelength would mean more stuff absorbs it, so material color would matter less. If I was building an XY laser cutter, it's what I would go with.

I see what you mean. I guess grinding 2+ mm off of a ⌀9mm tap made of HSS is not exactly my definition of fun ;) These taps are expensive ($20+ and some are at $150+ even) and I would rather get one that's profiled properly all the way to the tip if I can . If I can't find one, I would do as you said.

230mW output is more than enough for my application although more is always better of course. Even if it's 150mW continuous, I'd say it can do some useful work.

I'm looking for an output meter at the moment. When I get one, I'll do some LD torturing of my own and post results here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reference!

Where are you getting them from? Victor Machinery Exchange has them for $4.80 each.
HS Metric Plug Taps for hand tapping

Thank you very much for the reference! I did some shopping today, grabbed a few extra taps, too. I've known to break some taps every once in a while (although I don't remember ever breaking by hand something in a 9mm range :) ). These guys do have good prices and I'll be shopping there again for sure, especially when I eventually get that mini lathe :) because cutters of all sorts seem to be their specialty.

Thanks again!