Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

FrozenGate by Avery

Red laser for cat

Hello! My wife and I recently adopted her grandfather's cat after he passed away. I don't think that my cat would appreciate going blind playing with any of my current lasers (1200mW - 5W). I'm looking for a decent quality red laser that is truly <= 5mW and preferably made in the US. I wouldn't mind spending a bit more than I would on a cheapo ebay laser if I can guarantee it will be low powered enough that its safe for the cat's eyes, and won't die on me in a few weeks.

Any suggestions?

The Z bolt is a good choice for a long lasting true 5mw or less power dot..

I just use to stock up on the Dollar Store key chain ones that run on button cells.
The smaller ones with the little flashlight added on them will die out in time. Not the batterys but the diode. You do get al good amount of playing time before they die out.

Just be careful that your cat has fun playing and chasing the dot and not a obsession. My cat got so crazy trying to catch the dot that it worked opposite. It was fun at first but she would cry every time she heard any type of clicking noise and would dive off and on couches and tables to try to catch the dot that I feared for her safety.
Not saying it will happen but it could work opposite.
Glad you know not to use a powerful laser :) Some don't think of that..

Last edited:
I would recommend Z Bolt. Made in USA and they come with a power certificate so you know they are really less than 5mW. I have this one, great for using as an actual pointer since I know it's less than 5mW and don't have to use goggles.

Thanks for the recommendation, just what I'm looking for. They also have the BTE-4S that has a 1.0-5.0mW range as opposed to the BTE-4 with the 3.0-5.0mW range. I don't need the constant on switch but I might go with the option that could be slightly lower power.

Just be careful that your cat has fun playing and chasing the dot and not a obsession. My cat got so crazy trying to catch the dot that it worked opposite. It was fun at first but she would cry every time she heard any type of clicking noise and would dive off and on couches and tables to try to catch the dot that I feared for her safety.
Not saying it will happen but it could work opposite.
Yeah my cat was originally adopted as a stray by my wife's grandfather. She's not as playful as other cats I've met but she's super sweet and affectionate. I'm not too worried about her going crazy but I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Glad you know not to use a powerful laser :) Some don't think of that..
Its nice to have a fully developed prefrontal cortex haha

Reactions: GSS
Yeah my cat was originally adopted as a stray by my wife's grandfather. She's not as playful as other cats I've met but she's super sweet and affectionate. I'm not too worried about her going crazy but I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Its nice to have a fully developed prefrontal cortex haha
Thats sweet.
Feral cats usually are aggressive. Glad her Grandfather took her in and treated her well:)

Back