Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

red laser BEAM

1d4n

is there anyway i can see the beam like i see it in the green lasers?
cos in the red i only see the dot in the wall
and i wanna see all the beam without smoke or something like that
is it possible? or im can just keep dream about it?
thanks

AndyM

Red lasers are a lot less visible then green lasers. So no, you won't be able to see the beam without adding smoke or fog. Just wondering, what kind of ideas did you think people would give you to improve beam visibility without adding anything? :thinking: Magic? Haha just giving you a hard time! :D

There was a thread about exactly the same thing just one or two months ago. Use the search function of the forum. I'm pretty sure they found xxmW of red to equal xxmW of green or something along the lines of that.

Visibility can depend on your surroundings. My house doesn't have a HEPA filter on the furnace, so there is some dust in the air. Accordingly, if I turn the lights down, I can see easily the beam from my red lasers over 50mW and I don't need to turn on my fog machine or light incense sticks. I can even photograph or video red beams without fog or smoke. Perhaps your furnace filter is too good?

Get a LOC plus a Meredith Glass lens, you'll get 260-290mW out of it. You'll be able to see the beam like a 5-10mW green, but don't expect too much. The beam IS visible at night but will never be as easy to see as a green laser with the same power.

One reason red lasers generally have a dim beam is because the beam diameter is usually around 3-6mm wide compared to 1-2mm for typical greens. If you use a short focal length aspheric (like the 405-G-1 or the aspheric from a DVD burner sled) you can achieve a smaller beam diameter. It will look a bit brighter up close.
A DVD burner sled lens will give you a smaller beam diameter than the 405-G-1.

Don't expect it to be as bright as a similar powered green, though.

What is a LOC?

Get a LOC plus a Meredith Glass lens, you'll get 260-290mW out of it. You'll be able to see the beam like a 5-10mW green, but don't expect too much. The beam IS visible at night but will never be as easy to see as a green laser with the same power.