Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red 5mw laser module power supply re-wire help

Hi everyone, this is my first time being here and I had a question about my 5mw red laser.

Ok, so I took the laser apart and I have the laser chip with the spring on the 1 end and the silver cap thing on the other end. I wan't to solder wires on to the chip so I can power the laser with those wires attached to some type of battery. Not sure what kind of battery I should use but I provided some pictures so you can see the laser I'm working with.

Attachments

• laser front.jpg
    laser front.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 1,159
  • laser back.jpg
    laser back.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 1,237

rhd

You can probably solder one wire to the spring itself, and the other wire to the round casing of the diode. It might be tough to get a good solder joint though, so rough up the casing a bit with an xacto knife first.

Thanks for your reply. What is the round casting of the diode? Could you maybe take one of the pictures and draw a red circle or something on it in Paint and then post back here so I can see it maybe? Thanks.

rhd

ThePie69:948546 said:
Thanks for your reply. What is the round casting of the diode? Could you maybe take one of the pictures and draw a red circle or something on it in Paint and then post back here so I can see it maybe? Thanks.

Can't, on my phone.

But there's only one laser diode there, and I'm going to suggest that if you study your module hard enough, you should be able to figure out what/where the laser diode is, vs say, the spring... a resistor... a button... etc ;)

Plus, there's only one part of your module that could be considered a "round casing" from what I can see.

Sorry for razzing you :)

Last edited:
Haha thats ok, thats what I get for being new to this I suppose.
Thanks for your help though. I'll be trying it tomorrow when I get a new soldering iron. Do you recommend any good ones?

yzer

Probably too late to help you decide on a soldering iron but I had to buy a new one for my laser project. My other irons were too large and too hot. A Weller 12-watt soldering pencil worked out fine for me and cost $16. I already had good solder, de-soldering wick, soldering flux and the helping hands thingy.

A little late but... here you go...

Jerry

Attachments

• laser front-1.jpg
    laser front-1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 2,132
Actually I haven't started on it yet and thank you both for your replies. Both where helpfull!