Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recommendation for K9 use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rynos11

Hey all. Looking for suggestions. I've read a few threads here but thought I'd get more from just asking.... I'm a law enforcement canine handler. My dog is trained to deploy to laser direction. I have a great Steiner, weapon mounted laser that works great. I need a good handheld. My Department bought a $90 geen laser from optics planet that is crap. Here's what I'm looking for:
Red or green. Bright enough to see vividly at night and as clear/as far as possible in day. Up to about 4" in length. I'm obviously meet needing to burn things or show shapes/designs/flashing...
Recommendations, thoughts appreciated.

Hey all. Looking for suggestions. I've read a few threads here but thought I'd get more from just asking.... I'm a law enforcement canine handler. My dog is trained to deploy to laser direction. I have a great Steiner, weapon mounted laser that works great. I need a good handheld. My Department bought a $90 geen laser from optics planet that is crap. Here's what I'm looking for:
Red or green. Bright enough to see vividly at night and as clear/as far as possible in day. Up to about 4" in length. I'm obviously meet needing to burn things or show shapes/designs/flashing...
Your post is suspect. In other words I doubt you are in law enforcement.

Rynos11

Your post is suspect. In other words I doubt you are in law enforcement.
Believe me, in my profession, I appreciate your skepticism.... I've seen plenty of criticism and second guessing in the past few years. With all due respect, I gain nothing by noting my profession- just trying to put out the true use and application for realistic recommendations. I appreciate the concern for the 'troll' spam.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter

Yeah I don't believe you're an officer either but then again it doesn't matter if you are or not. What bothers me is your grammar and sentence structure. An officer should at least be able to construct a proper statement.
"I'm obviously meet needing to burn things or show shapes/designs/flashing..." Not sure what "obviously meet needing" means. No idea whatsoever. So a K9 officer needs a laser that burns "things", show shapes, designs and or flashing during his line of work. Why?
The dog should be able to see the dot as it is. You don't need a high power laser. You're going to be using this laser to aim at targets right? Well what happens when you accidently hit their eyes and blind them? As an officer this is nothing but a bad idea for you.
I get that the dog can get away with removing some skin on the perpetrator as that can always heal back up but when you burn into someones eyes (Which only takes a split second) that is permanent. You aren't even authorized to carry a high power laser weapon.

Believe me, in my profession, I appreciate your skepticism.... I've seen plenty of criticism and second guessing in the past few years. With all due respect, I gain nothing by noting my profession- just trying to put out the true use and application for realistic recommendations. I appreciate the concern for the 'troll' spam.

Rynos11

Sent the first on my phone, supposed to say "not needing to burn...."

It's simple, he lays down, I direct his vision to the dot, move it to the target, give him a release word, and he goes. Looking for one that is bright as possible, but NOT strong enough to burn. It will never be pointed at him.

I have looked at the Sanwu options on their site, as are recommended in other threads Just confused by strength options after selecting color options.

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Anything above 5mw is a danger to the eye. You go higher than that and you risk harming the dog and suspect

Rynos11

Ok, thank you. The pic shows the numbers that I'm unfamiliar with... The dot is never pointed at the dog or in the eye of a person. Most commonly it is placed on an object, wall, vehicle, building, etc to get him in the general direction.

Screenshot_20220701-142657.png

Sowee7

Sent the first on my phone, supposed to say "not needing to burn...."

It's simple, he lays down, I direct his vision to the dot, move it to the target, give him a release word, and he goes. Looking for one that is bright as possible, but NOT strong enough to burn. It will never be pointed at him.

I have looked at the Sanwu options on their site, as are recommended in other threads Just confused by strength options after selecting color options.
if you are looking for a bright 5mw laser, i would suggest you look at laserglow's website, they have some good 5mw handheld lasers

Rynos11

I looked, the handheld I have is a Beamshot 100, 5mW and I definitely need something a lot brighter. Outside in daylight, you can not see the dot clearly from about 20 feet and beyond. Looks like Laserglow will only send a 5mW to the US. Is that the case overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.