Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Recieved my 300mw+ 650nm laser

Low-Q

Hi,

I just received my 300mw+ 650nm laser with glass lens. A LM317 based powersupply included. This laser is quite powerful. It burns wood and white paper. I have used it to engrave my kids name into different plastic and wooden toys.

To increase the power further, I ordered two lenses, actually for 405nm laser, and it works fine with this laser. The focal length is much shorter, so more of the energy is collimated. The other lens I placed right next to the first, but in opposite direction. The burning spot burns instantly wood, paper, cuts 1mm thick black plastic like a hot knife in soft butter :).

I have tried the same lens configuration with my 405nm laser too. Another thread.

Here is the 650nm laser kit I bought:
300mW+650nm Red High Power Laser Diode Module Kit Glass - eBay (item 280367788915 end time Jul-12-09 20:52:24 PDT)

Br.

Vidar

Nice! I'm getting a 1 watt red but I don't know the wavelength, forgot.

How is the duty cycle on yours? I'm getting a kryton beast and I'm hoping its crazy insane. Oh and I'm getting the red specific lens :)

Low-Q

Nice! I'm getting a 1 watt red but I don't know the wavelength, forgot.

How is the duty cycle on yours? I'm getting a kryton beast and I'm hoping its crazy insane. Oh and I'm getting the red specific lens :)

I bet that 1W laser is powerful!! I cannot recall any 1W "good visible" lasers on the market under several hundred dollars, but now i don't know the price for your 1W... If it's cheap, it's probably a 808 - 780nm laser.

Well my laser:
The LM317 regulator gets very hot with a 11.1V LiPo battery supply, even with the included cooling rib, but the laser itself does not get very hot. It becomes lukewarm after 1 minute constantly on with the including small cooling rib. After that minute it does not seem to get much warmer. I had this laser on for at least five minutes when I engraved the toys. So the duty cycle is good for playing around. I plan to put this laser into a metal flashlight housing for better cooling, but the driver board is too big to fit. So I'll probably use a 3.7V (4.2V max charged - not loaded) LiIon battery with a 0.5W 1.8 - 2.2 ohm resistor to limit the power input so I save the laser. This should provide about 400 - 450mA @ 3.2V on the laser. The laser runs good at 450mA input current, but recommended current is 415mA for longer duty cycle - I use this current now.

Vidar

Low-Q

Next is to burn black plastic via reflections from a window. I know that the reflection from a window ia about 4%. So I tested it right now. 4% of the energy output in my laser can in fact burn black plastic. I am almost impressed :)
The reflection angle is about 10 - 15 deg.

Vidar

drjava

The eBay link you posted is long dead. Do you know the eBay seller?
Thanks