Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Really don't want to go to Wicked for this...

Hey guys, I'm not very new to the laser scene but I have been away for a few years.  I'm currently buying an Optotronics 30mW green pointer until I get some more money, which i'm buying an X-100 from Nova.  Are there any problems with these models I should be worried about? Will I be pleased?

Okay but the question I have for you is...

I am also looking to buy a RED pointer that is class IIIB. I'm looking for 30+mW of red but can't seem to find anything except for the Pulsar Series from Wicked Lasers.  I know from experience reading on these forums not to deal with WL but can't seem to find a "Pen-sized" red laser anywhere with an output of >5mw...  Does this exist anywhere other than Wicked or am I gonna have to buy from the beast???

Thanks for any information in regards!        ~Cody

Yeah I know about DX but I swear by high quality and good customer service no matter what product i'm dealing with and I am not going to even think about buying from them as I hear nothing but crap about them. I know they have them but I won't take a chance getting a mode hopping or defective laser...  ;)  Its just not my style  :cool: I think I'll probably just end up buying the Pulsar 75... ~Cody

Razako

InvertedCdubz said:
Yeah I know about DX but I swear by high quality and good customer service no matter what product i'm dealing with and I am not going to even think about buying from them as I hear nothing but crap about them. I know they have them but I won't take a chance getting a mode hopping or defective laser... ;) Its just not my style :cool: ~Cody
The 200mw red from dx is actually a good laser. Read some of the reviews about it. Also red lasers don't have mode hopping problems like green lasers do. You aren't going to get high quality with wicked either.

The Pulsar is steeply priced for what it is. BUT I can tell you that in the two years I've owned my Pulsar 100, I've certainly gotten my money's worth. No regrets here. Of course, back then there weren't any other options for a powerful red than Wicked.

I keep thinking about getting the DX 200, but it runs on CR2's. That's annoying. I love that my Pulsar just takes standard AAA's. It works great with rechargeable batteries, but avoid lithium as they can supply too much voltage and kill the diode.

Shoot, writing this is giving me the itch to buy another Pulsar :eek:

Razako

Also there is an extra expense if you want your pulsar to burn anything. You need to buy the expensive capset or use a magnifying glass to focus it. The dx laser comes fully focusable.

Cr2 batteries aren't a problem either. Just buy the ultrafire cr2's and the cr2 charger when you buy the laser.

InvertedCdubz said:
Yeah I know about DX but I swear by high quality and good customer service no matter what product i'm dealing with and I am not going to even think about buying from them as I hear nothing but crap about them. I know they have them but I won't take a chance getting a mode hopping or defective laser... ;) Its just not my style :cool: I think I'll probably just end up buying the Pulsar 75... ~Cody
my friend just came over with his pulsar 150, adn my box stlye whooped its ass.
so i would assume, that my box stlye is aroudn 150mw range, maybe higher. but till i get a meter, i wont know. but my box style, burnt faster, adn farther than the pulsar 150 from wl.
does anyone know where i can get the cheapest , i mean CHEAPEST meter ??

chido

You're going to need at least 500 bucks for a meter. ;D
The pulsar is overpriced and it doesn't even have a driver.
If you want a pulsar then all you have to do is to go get a diode and stick it in a minimag. ;D

Razako said:
Also there is an extra expense if you want your pulsar to burn anything.  You need to buy the expensive capset or use a magnifying glass to focus it.  The dx laser comes fully focusable.

Cr2 batteries aren't a problem either.  Just buy the ultrafire cr2's and the cr2 charger when you buy the laser.

I'm not really concerned about the burning capabilities of the Pulsar, I'm more into the pointing/impressing people at parties that sort of stuff, I'm buying the X-100 by Nova as I said earlier and suppose that will scratch my itch to burn things, considering it includes a collimator accessory. Will that satisfy me if i'm looking to occasionally sting my friends skin or pop a balloon here and there?

chido said:
If you want a pulsar then all you have to do is to go get a diode and stick it in a minimag. ;D

I'm seriously considering this now that you mention it, along with the purchase of the others, just to prove i'm more than the normal red laser pointer person ;D

Could you tell me exactly what I would need to make this project possible? I'm very good with building/manufacturing since I am a machinist and can work very well with hands on projects like this. If you cannot tell me could you at least point me in the direction of a past thread that might be able to? Is there any price range you could quote me for a 100 - 150 mW setup?

chido

So you want to make a laser. [smiley=evil.gif]
It depends, if you want an easy build just buy a laser diode pre-installed in an aixiz housing from this site. Take a look at this thread and at this video tutorial.
By building this laser and driving the diode from the site listed above at 300mA you should get around 200mW. [smiley=evil.gif]

I'd say that's a good start.

EDIT: the X-100 from Nova is a great laser, you will be able to pop balloons and light some matches. Also, green is the most visible color to the human eye, so if you want to see the beam this laser will be great. You wont be able to burn your friends unless you focus the dot to the smallest spot and sharpie your friend's skin. (unless your friend has dark skin)

Also, check this thread. You can get a MXDL laser from jayrob for around 200 bucks. The laser puts out around 250mW with an acrylic lens and around 300mW with a glass lens.

chido said:
thats right, thats why its able to use 2 aaa batts

apex007 said:
The Pulsar is steeply priced for what it is. BUT I can tell you that in the two years I've owned my Pulsar 100, I've certainly gotten my money's worth. No regrets here. Of course, back then there weren't any other options for a powerful red than Wicked.

I understand that for the prices Wicked isn't a great choice, but they are also known to have quality products as well but they are just overpriced. Since they have one of the only high powered red pointers I am willing to pay the high price for it, I just wish I didn't have to... ::) But I am worried about posted outputs and actual outputs of these devices. Anyone have a Pulsar that they have had tested?

InvertedCdubz said:
[quote author=apex007 link=1207954651/0#5 date=1207956369]The Pulsar is steeply priced for what it is. BUT I can tell you that in the two years I've owned my Pulsar 100, I've certainly gotten my money's worth. No regrets here. Of course, back then there weren't any other options for a powerful red than Wicked.

I understand that for the prices Wicked isn't a great choice, but they are also known to have quality products as well but they are just overpriced. Since they have one of the only high powered red pointers I am willing to pay the high price for it, I just wish I didn't have to... ::) But I am worried about posted outputs and actual outputs of these devices. Anyone have a Pulsar that they have had tested?[/quote]
They are anything but high quality! They send out bad units, and their pulsar doesn't even have a driver! It will break if you give it lithium AAA batteries!

Razako

InvertedCdubz said:
[quote author=apex007 link=1207954651/0#5 date=1207956369]The Pulsar is steeply priced for what it is. BUT I can tell you that in the two years I've owned my Pulsar 100, I've certainly gotten my money's worth. No regrets here. Of course, back then there weren't any other options for a powerful red than Wicked.

I understand that for the prices Wicked isn't a great choice, but they are also known to have quality products as well but they are just overpriced. Since they have one of the only high powered red pointers I am willing to pay the high price for it, I just wish I didn't have to... ::) But I am worried about posted outputs and actual outputs of these devices. Anyone have a Pulsar that they have had tested?[/quote]
Here's a video of a P125 being measured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axQDsfdodXA