Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RayFoss RF660-200mW-FSS

Legal

So this will be my first post in the forums I figured I might as well make it a useful one and write a review of my first laser.

The RayFoss RF660-200mW-FSS

Specs. (From RayFoss)

Wavelengh 660nm
Power Output 200mW
Dot Shape Circle Dot (Dot size is adjustable by turning the head)
Beam divergence <1.2mrad at beam aperture
Beam Style CW
Circuit ACC
Working Voltage DC=3.7V
Working Current I<550mA
Duty Circle 2 minutes on and 5 seconds off
Working Temperature +20dgC-30dgC
Storage Temperature -10dgC-40dgC
Power Supply 1pcs CR123 3.7V battery
Size 23.5mmx165mm
Package Retail Box/Battery charger included (Just a heads up no charger was included in my package)

Build Quality
For a 58 dollar cheap china laser I have to say I'm quite impressed its well machined and solid its got a good weight, and no rattles. The battery as to be expected was cheap and unlike the spec list its a 3.0v not a 3.7v:thinking: The laser module seems to be at an angle but for a cheap laser oh well cant expect perfection its well worth the 58 dollars for a red burner.

Performance
Dont own a LPM and this is my first laser so who knows if its up to spec seems close but the fact it says it requires a 3.7v and it includes a 3.0v makes me think theres more to be gained. But that saying this laser is stablleeeee after a short warm up to its peak power it burns well. Ive had the laser on for 2 minutes and it never even felt warm which is strange. Above the armed and on light theres a small pin hole that at the bottom has a pot in it without a LPM I havnt had a reason to turn it but im guessing this is the only difference between RayFosses 400mW 660nm and this 200mW 660nm is a simple pot turn.

Operation
Simple to use right out of the box positive side of the battery to the tail cap. Turn the key forward and a subtle green light goes on letting you know the laser is armed. Click the constant on/off button a subtle red light comes on letting you know the laser is on. And the beam comes on with a 2 second delay. its got a 5-10 second warm up till it peaks at who knows what output. The focus ring is smooth and tight which is easy to turn and keep turned, Focuses from infinity to a useless flashlight spread.

Beam
BRIGHT red light visible beam at night much like any burning reddie burns readily to much anything does the usual parlor tricks lights matchs pops ballons we all know the fun stuff. As for div. RayFoss says 1.2mrad at output. But its focusable so dosent matter much. As expected throws a light for longer than you can see fun but not a star pointer with the difficult to see beam thats what for greenies are for.

Overall
For a cheap first burner laser its great all I can ask for, for the money fun toy built well. The safety features are great for a first timer the key lock and arming lights are just whats needed on a first powerful laser. Of course I bought some eagle eye 660 nm glasses and a pair of 532nm for my next buy :) Overall if your looking for a well built cheap laser I'd recommend it.

Now some photos and a video for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0196.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Welcome to the forum:beer:

This is a very nice first post and a nice first review.

One thing though, the pot is NOT the the only difference between the 400mW and the 200mW versions.

Both of the lasers are using the same diode, but there are two key differences;

1. The 400mW version will be using a more efficient diode... same model.
2. There is a good chance the 400mW version uses a different lens.

For red 660nm laser, 300mW is basically the upper limit, with the exception of freak diodes. The only way to go past ~300mW is with a better quality lens.

So don't play with the pot.

Read, post, build, lase, and have fun.

Don't forget to try to use the search engine, chances are the questions that you will have, have been answered at some point:)

The forum search can be tricky and frustrating at times, but if you use some creative googling to specifically search lpf you will find tons and tons of useful information:yh:

Legal

Haha trust me I've tried a build before I know the pot is not to be messed with especially by me. Thanks for the infor on the 400mw module I knew it sounded a bit funky with the 400mW the farthest I've seen a red pushed was 383ish. This is my first post but I've been a guest hounding the search engine for two weeks now amasssing information. Thank you for the kind words about my review.

creeg

the rayfoss pictures shows a safety dongle a the back,where is it?

Legal

My best guess is that the green modules or perhaps an older generation used a key dongle back, But the Key and green arm and red on lights should be enough protection for the average laser user.