Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

radioactive material and laser ionization threshold

Nitrogen Triiodide is a good example of a very sensitive explosive and is great for classroom demonstrations. So much as touching it with a feather will cause it to rapidly decompose in a small "explosion". That also means it can't be produced, transported or stored in large quantities.

Edit: seeing as we're talking about pumping lasers with radioactive sources, take a read of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_pumped_laser

I've seen countless vidoes of classroom demonstrations of NI3 decomposition and almost all of them keep the sashes open or don't even use a fume hood. It really irks me when I see science teachers not take the necessary precautions when dealing with explosives and hazardous vapors.

Cool link though diachi, very interesting project. Too bad we don't have the technology to advance it to our goal potential.

Last edited:

I've seen countless videos of classroom demonstrations of NI3 decomposition and almost all of them keep the sashes open or don't even use a fume hood. It really irks me when I see science teachers not take the necessary precautions when dealing with explosives and hazardous vapors.

Cool link though diachi, very interesting project. Too bad we don't have the technology to advance it to our goal potential.

Decomposition of NI3 is Iodine vapour and Nitrogen gas. Iodine vapour isn't the best thing to breathe in.

Have a look at this.
this is a common demo on fuel air mixtures in a bottle. (woosh bottle)
A change from plastic to glass bottle caused this..

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The title to the video sums that up pretty well for me. Some people shouldn't have access to chemicals. :banghead: Does he think he's Joseph with that jacket or something. :D