Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Radio Wave Lasers

gazer101

I preface this by saying I know more about how visible light is produced than how radio waves work, so not much at all lol...

I know that with sound waves, one can approximate a "laser" beam by producing an extremely high pitch oscillation and then passing it through a slit.

Meanwhile with the lasers we know and love (UV, visible, x-ray, IR) one can create a laser beam by causing electrons to rapidly oscillate between atomic excitation states across a uniform population and gather up lots of coherent light as the atoms cause their neighbors to release photons simultaneously.

But how would one go about creating a laser out of radio waves? Or are radio waves already "coherent" since they are produced by the macroscopic movement of electrons through an antenna as opposed to a semi-random mix of exited atoms as with LEDs and light bulbs?

I know that Free Electron Lasers could theoretically lase at any wavelength, but I'm looking for answers other than that (since they are quite impractical).
Has been an ongoing question so appreciate any input

gazer101

Yes but, for instance, how does NASA manage to communicate with probes on the surface of Mars all the way from Earth? They need to be using some sort of focused radio-wave (possibly "coherent", but low divergence/high gain for sure) laser no?

I suppose the other question to ask is; is it possible for a laser to be produced from macroscopic electron motion such as in an antenna (instead of between atom excitation states)?

Is the MASER you described (it mentioned "nitrogen vacancy center defect") forming some sort of tiny antenna structure (plasmonic antenna as shown here: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/cr1002672) to emit the microwaves?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
A classic MASER emits microwaves in exactly the manner our optical LASERS do; stimulated emission from molecules (ammonia IIRC for the original MASER) in an excited state.