Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Quick English help - musical therm

Hey guys,

When I'm not burried in my college obligations, as you know I play a guitar once in a while, and lately I was about to do a search and read up on some more theory of music so I can understand it better.

Problem arose when Google loaded.

For the life of me, I cannot find any sort of reference to the word I'm looking for.

Basically, what I'm searching for is when you achieve a harmony in two instruments playing simoultaniously, one in different key, and it sounds extra epic. It is heard in many, if not all, today's metal music solos and riffs, and In Flames practically built a career on it.

In this extremely epic video which made me get my guitar out of it's case again with hard intention of learning shit, you can hear this guy do this harmony at 1:05, and then see and hear him do it at 1:44

I even know a word for that in Croatian but since Google translate does not know it, I don't think anything else will.

So what's the damned word? :D I wish to find some literature and do some reading, so I can gain some understanding of how it all works, so that I may even be able to create my own similar solos for say, a song I maybe, or maybe not, had in mind of writing and performing.

Lase

I couldn't find the term you are looking for in my theory books but I found this.

Linky

You might find the term in there.

Lase

Well that's the problem you see, I don't even know what the hell amd I supposed to be looking for, what word is it? :D

There sure is a lot of therms on that page... but I don't even know where to start, and descriptions are pretty vague (I cannot even describe my therm in professional musical therms, so I added that video and noted where is the part with this thing).

Thanks for effort, though.

"you can hear this guy do this harmony at 1:05,"

Yeah. I second that it is harmonizing. And he used the root word in his question.
The classic Deep Purple song Smoke on the Water is the most known harmonization. And the least played properly too.
Most people don't know that when the notes are played just right that you might perceive it as a completely different note.
This is also the biggest limitation of MP3 encoding of a song. The harmonics become over simplified and lose the timbre of the combined sound.

Link to Ultimate guitar and that video is pretty much that, what I'm looking for.

I just figured there'd be a more technical therm for it, as "harmonizing" itself is a little broad, but OK I guess I can Google my way now.

Thanks, guys!

EDIT - Ok so if that is harmonizing (playing exact same set of notes further up the fretboard), then what is this thing you can hear in this Children of Bodom song, at 1:02?

One guitar is playing this:
||---------------------|-------------|--------------------|
||o--------------------|-------------|--------------------|
||--------9------------|-------------|--------------------|
||--/12-----10--12-----|-------------|--/8---8-10--10-----|
||o----------------13--|-(13)--------|----------------10--|

And the other one:
||--/10--12--9--10-----|-------------|-/10--12--9--10-----|
||-----------------12--|-(12)--------|----------------12--|

There are different versions of tabs available, but you can see that it's not just a same set of notes, it's different... and epic sounding. Does that still count as "harmonizing"?

Last edited:
To be honest... I don't know. I kinda just googled around for you.

BTW it's spelled term not therm :D

Yeah, it's still harmonizing. Harmonizing is pretty much any note played that is in the same scale as the main note (or melody) being played.

I have an effects board for my guitar which pretty much does this with just the touch of a button. The problem with it though is that it doesn't sound quite right all the time. It just adds the 5th note in the scale above the note that you are playing.

(Or maybe I'm just not using it correctly :D )

Well I'm prety sure I've got it, "harmonizing" though more research into the topic reveals that there are several types, out of which I believe is the only real translation to Croatian word "Terce", kao "svirati u terce", which would be the "Major third harmony".

Pretty crazy. Anyway, thanks to everybody.

I don't know anything about music. I know the word "Harmony."

What about "octave"? does that help?

"resonance"

"wavelength"

like if you were to play a song on the piano, but along with every key, you depress the key 7 keys away from the one you are pushing?

Oh, that's another music word I know, "key." "clef"

"notes"

"treble"

The thread is fairly old adn the question is already answered, guys, it was "Harmony" that I was looking for (difference in languages is what was troubling me here),

Thanks for all your replies :)