Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions about my X105's power/burning ability

For people who have X105s, how long does it take you to light matches and pop balloons?

I think for a 12" black balloon, it takes me about 3 or 4 seconds to pop the balloon from about 2' away (with very shaky hands.)

For matches, it seems to take too long. With a small regular old Diamond match, from about 6" away holding both in my hands it takes anywhere from 5-15 seconds. Again, shaky hands aren't helping.

I've used both Energizer Li batts and regular alkaline Rayovacs. Both have about the same result.

Do these numbers sound good :-?? It seems to me from hearing about other people's X105s and similar lasers and watching vids that all that should be faster...

I'll try to do some better testing and timing tonight (after class and the Red Sox game - crossing my fingers they win :-/.) I'll also try to find a better way to hold the pointer and matches still and let you guys know the results.

Thanks for the help!

S

SenKat

Re: Questions about my X105's power/burning abilit

Mountaineer - it is ALWAYS easiest to have either one, or both of hte items held still by means other than your hands - you will find that matches will light faster if you move the match into the beam, whilst the beam is held steady, like on a tripod, or clothes pins, or something similiar - it sounds to me like you are just not getting hte match where it needs to be, in order for the heat to build up to the point of ignition - wrap a rubber band around the laser, so the button is depressed, and sit it on a table, then move the match with both hands, or better yet - have the match stuck in a bit of clay, on the back of a chair, or something, and scoot it closer - try that stuff and see how well it works then !

Thanks SenKat, I was planning on trying that tonight. I'll do that and let you know the results - hopefully it will yield better results.

LarryQ

I agree with Senkat!

I've only lit one match....and it took about the same amount of time..but then again I was holding the laser and very unsteady.

I don't much care for the smell of sulphur.

I'm a Black Balloon man!

At about a foot they pop almost instantly!

At @5-6 feet..it takes a second or two,and a steady hand.

Also...

GO SOX!!!!!

I'll be Glued to the game tonight...

I SO don't want the season to end tonight!!!!!

Come on Boys...go get 'em!!!!

LarryQ

Balloons are pretty fun too!

Unfortunately, I be in an extremely exciting tax research class until 9:15 tonight (much sarcasm - it's horrible :-[)  But after that, I'll be glued to the TV as well!  I figure if they can win this, which is a pretty good shot with Beckett at the mound, they could possibly pull it out since they'll have some rest and the homefield advantage for the last two games.

Too bad we couldn't be in Cleveland to shine some lasers in Sebathia's general direction ;)  Just kidding, but I really hope they can come back!

I'll try to see if I can't get some videos up, or at least pictures, of it's performance tonight.

Gazoo

Holding it still will make all the difference in the world..... 6" sounds too close...I usually light them at a foot or two and they light instantly. As the laser warms up it puts out more power, but when it gets too warm, the power begins to drop off.

LarryQ

Watch the game???

I can't WATCH a game....!

I Listen to the WRKO live audio feed on MLB.com.

I just have to Hear Joe Castiglione call the game!!!

I guess I grew up with an AM radio stuck in my ear!

I would love to be at the game...!!!
If Beckett can hold the tribe back....they may have a really good shot!!

I already feel butterflies in my stomach!!!

GO SOX!!!!

CRUSH CLEVELAND!!!!!

LarryQ

LarryQ said:
Watch the game???

I can't WATCH a game....!

I Listen to the WRKO live audio feed on MLB.com.

I just have to Hear Joe Castiglione call the game!!!

I guess I grew up with an AM radio stuck in my ear!

I would love to be at the game...!!!
If Beckett can hold the tribe back....they may have a really good shot!!

I already feel butterflies in my stomach!!!

GO SOX!!!!

CRUSH CLEVELAND!!!!!

LarryQ

My money is on the Rockies winning it all...WAYYY too hot :eek:

Alright, no pictures or videos because my digital camera's charger is apparently not working (I have to worst luck with chargers - I've lost a many, this ones broken...  It's a good thing I can't afford an RPL or other rechargeable laser because I'd lose the charger and it'd be useless... :-/)   Anyhow, just a couple of preliminary tests (and I mean a couple):

Matches:   Distance    Ignition Time
                   9"              14 seconds
                   9.25"          33 seconds
                   12"             no ignition after 100 second cycle

Balloons:   Distance    Popping time    Color of Balloon
                   11"             Instantly           Red
                   9"               Didn't pop         Dark green
                   12"             Instantly           Sharpied dark green

All of this was done with the laser kept on w/ a rubber band and the matches/balloons held still.  I used the match box to keep the matches held up (stuck the end down into the box and closed the box on the end to keep the head sticking up) and had the balloons on top of a toaster with the bread slots acting as grooves to hold them still.

I'm happy about the balloons, but the matches are really disappointing.  That doesn't seem right does it?  I mean, even at a foot with everything held still, a match won't light in over a minute and a half?!?  I'll run some more tests in the next couple hours, try to get my charger working to get some media up, and let you guys know the results.  Hopefully they're a lot better.

Oh yeah, and that was on the Rayovac alkalines and for the first two matches, there was about a 5-10 second warm-up time for the laser while I adjusted it's aim.

Gazoo

I will be looking forward to the media. How old are the matches? I am using wooden matches with dark red colored tip.

The matches are brand new. They're the good ol' Diamond safety matches, the smaller ones that come in boxes of 32. The heads aren't too dark, and the testing I did was without Sharpie-ing the heads.

As for the media, it looks like my charger isn't going to work, so I'm going to have to find another way :-[ It makes me a bit mad :mad: because I lost the original one that plugs straight into the camera and had to buy a separate one that you put the battery directly into. And now it's broken :mad: :mad: Anyhow, I could use my cell phone, but it's really bad quality, and I hate seeing indistinct camera pics of stuff. I'll keep trying with the charger, and I guess I'll have to eventually buy a new one if it doesn't start working...

i don't think i've ever lit a match with my 112mW CNI, without it having black ink put on it, or putting the beam through a WL burning cap... then again i've never set up one of my lasers to be perfectly still and i have shaky hands.

marianne said:
i don't think i've ever lit a match with my 112mW CNI, without it having black ink put on it, or putting the beam through a WL burning cap... then again i've never set up one of my lasers to be perfectly still and i have shaky hands.

I can light red tipped matches fine within a feet with my X105 and I have shaky hands too :p

JacKz5o said:
[quote author=marianne link=1192725258/0#12 date=1192908651]i don't think i've ever lit a match with my 112mW CNI, without it having black ink put on it, or putting the beam through a WL burning cap... then again i've never set up one of my lasers to be perfectly still and i have shaky hands.

I can light red tipped matches fine within a feet with my X105 and I have shaky hands too :p[/quote]
but you have 10mW more than me to play with!! :p

As you might be able to tell, I haven't been on top of things. I haven't been able to do any more serious experimentation for the past few days and my camera charger still isn't working, so it might be a while, but I will eventually have some more results up. On a happy note, I got my GB diodes yesterday, so I've been busy messing around with those! And the Sox made it to the World Series!!!!! ;D ;D Oh, happy day!