Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions about Laser Led/ Flashlight Combo

Sold at NAPA Auto is a nice little LED/ Red Laser flashlight rated at less than 5 mw but a great little laser for playing with your cat. 7 dollars and in a very sturdy aluminum host.

I wish it was a green Laser because at this power a green might be bright enough to see the beam itself- the red is quite intense on some units- they come with batteries so you can check in store and get a brighter one.

QUESTION- they run on 3 aaa batteries- would substituting a 10440- the 3 volt Lithium Ion for 1 or 2 of the triple a increasing the voltage from 4.5 to about 6 volts if 1 was substituted or 7.5 volts if 2 were substituted- increase the power of the Laser and the LEDs ?

I realize for what I want- a relatively safe 10 milliwatt GREEN will be much better- since it will be much brighter per milliwatt and possibly give me beam visibility at around 10 mw but I am curious about this battery substitution.

Also - if this was modded- it would require at least 50mw to see the beam in red , right ?

If this was a similar circuit with GREEN - it could be left on for hours with visible beam, no overheating etc. Correct ?

If anyone wants to play around with these I'll maybe send you a few- problem is if the Red gets much more intense I can see how you'd need Goggles for reflections etc.

Can these be easily modded ?

It would increase the power, but if the circuit board and everything was designed to handle 4.5 volts feeding it more would most likely damage the internals and then your completely in the dumps.

Substituting agrees diode for the designed red one, that's a cool thought. I have never opened up one of thoes lights, but I assume it would be easy enough if you had a diode that took the same 4.5 volts and the same amperage that the currently installed diode took.

I personally have never built my own laser, but the plans for it are slowly developing in my head...sounds like a fun place to start.

Sold at NAPA Auto is a nice little LED/ Red Laser flashlight rated at less than 5 mw but a great little laser for playing with your cat. 7 dollars and in a very sturdy aluminum host.

I wish it was a green Laser because at this power a green might be bright enough to see the beam itself- the red is quite intense on some units- they come with batteries so you can check in store and get a brighter one.

QUESTION- they run on 3 aaa batteries- would substituting a 10440- the 3 volt Lithium Ion for 1 or 2 of the triple a increasing the voltage from 4.5 to about 6 volts if 1 was substituted or 7.5 volts if 2 were substituted- increase the power of the Laser and the LEDs ?

This will either kill the laser or not change anything, depending on how sophisticated the circuitry is. It will not make either LED or laser brighter though. Mixing different battery chemistry is also a bad idea.

I realize for what I want- a relatively safe 10 milliwatt GREEN will be much better- since it will be much brighter per milliwatt and possibly give me beam visibility at around 10 mw but I am curious about this battery substitution.

I doubt you will be able to fit a green module in one of those lights, they are just too small.

Also - if this was modded- it would require at least 50mw to see the beam in red , right ?

Probably not, you would need a lot more than 50mW to see it without smoke/fog.

If this was a similar circuit with GREEN - it could be left on for hours with visible beam, no overheating etc. Correct ?

No, green modules still overheat.

If anyone wants to play around with these I'll maybe send you a few- problem is if the Red gets much more intense I can see how you'd need Goggles for reflections etc.

Chances are those flashlights use a different style diode, not the 5.6mm diode we are used to. It is probably a chip laser diode, common in the cheap key chain red pointers.

Can these be easily modded ?

In short, no.

f i v e