Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Questions about diode and DPSS lasers

With DPSS lasers, the wavelength is converted, while with diode lasers, the laser is emitted directly without conversion. Now I've noticed that other than red (standard pointers) and violet (bluray player) diode lasers, most diode-based lasers (including blue, green, and yellow) are DPSS lasers, not true diode lasers. This leaves me wondering, is this due to the lasing material for other colors not being easily manufactured? Or maybe because scientists have not yet discovered a material who's properties would permit it to be used to generate the desired wavelength when used as the lasing medium for a diode laser?

And are there any blue (not violet), or green lasers out there that actually are true diode lasers, not DPSS lasers?

You must have been away for some time. There are all wavelengths of blue direct diode lasers and greens from 502nm to 530nm as well. The yellows are are still in the research stage, but have been produced. Take a look at my signature. If it is a solid state laser, it is stated as such or gas lasers. Everything else is direct diodes.

With DPSS lasers, the wavelength is converted, while with diode lasers, the laser is emitted directly without conversion. Now I've noticed that other than red (standard pointers) and violet (bluray player) diode lasers, most diode-based lasers (including blue, green, and yellow) are DPSS lasers, not true diode lasers. This leaves me wondering, is this due to the lasing material for other colors not being easily manufactured? Or maybe because scientists have not yet discovered a material who's properties would permit it to be used to generate the desired wavelength when used as the lasing medium for a diode laser?

And are there any blue (not violet), or green lasers out there that actually are true diode lasers, not DPSS lasers?
How in the heck did you arrive at this conclusion?

your info is old,we has several new direct diodes of various wavelengths over the last 5 years that pretty much covered the visible spectrum nicely except the yellow-orange yet that still are in research and testing.

Like the others have just said, now we have cheap (relatively) diodes pretty much from 445nm to 520nm. Exact list for the blue-green diodes spectrum would be 450nm, 475nm, 488nm-493nm, 503nm-520nm. I assume the dpss lasers you are referring to are 473nm, 532nm, 589nm and 593nm.
Although the diodes between 488nm and 520nm are all <150mW single mode.

Last edited:
How many of you has checked the post date before reading farther? :tired: Yeah, it's really from 2018 :undecided: