Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question RE: Green Safety

If im outside with my son and im shooting say a 300mw green into the sky. Do we need to wear glasses even though its night time?

In other words if im doing a star tour of our galaxy will our very gaze at the green laser pointing say to the north star cause eye damage?

Another ? is -

If im inside say the house. And im shooting this green laser at a wall. Looking at the laser beam from the unit to the wall. Will this damage my eyes without safety glasses?

Or is it a precautionary measure whereby if the laser hits a reflective object. That the beam could hit my eyes thus causing damage. Please advise...
Thanks
BH

You don't need goggles for skypointing.300mw is way overkill for that use, btw.
300mw indoors I would wear the goggles at all times.On a distant target, say over 200 feet it would probably be ok but you should avoid reflective surfaces.
I am assuming the laser has an IR filter, which blocks the 1064nm IR that does not get doubled to green as well as the 808nm IR from the pump.If the laser has no IR filter, you need goggles that block both green and IR to be safe.
I use goggles with my 100mw green indoors.Outside while lighting up clouds, I don't use them.But I am as careful as can be.100mw will scar the retina pronto!
I hope this answers your question.

Ash

If im inside say the house. And im shooting this green laser at a wall. Looking at the laser beam from the unit to the wall. Will this damage my eyes without safety glasses?
I don't think you have ever tried shining a 300mW green laser at a [white] wall indoors. If you had (and seen the painfully bright green dot) then you would know that safety glasses are necessary for indoor lasing @ +100mW green. That is, unless you don't want to be able to see for very much longer. :cool:

Definitely use them indoors. Outside I would say it's not necessary as long as you are careful where it gets pointed.