Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Question: If you take out the diode of a normal 532nm DPSS, What colors can be created from various infrared diodes?

The thread title question is mostly nonsensical.
You really need to study up on/get an education re: lasers in the real world, rather than just imaginings/imagination about lasers. You can't make any "colors" by taking the 808nm diode out of a DPSS 532nm laser.

Can a laser be made with a wavelength different from 532nm with an 808nm diode extracted a DPSS 532nm laser?
Yes, if you have the equipment, experience, knowledge, and skills of how to do + the mounting system needed, temperature control system needed, power control system needed, the crystal system needed and an 808nm diode powerful enough to pump the crystal system.
See explanation of several common wavelengths created with an 808nm pump diode here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode-pumped_solid-state_laser

You are confusing laser properties and characteristics with human visual system and perception properties, --apples and oranges different.
Wavelength is not color and color is not wavelength. Wavelengths have no "color".
Spectral power distributions of wavelengths exist in the physical world, but color exists only in the mind of the beholder.
A given wavelength of visible light has the same frequency regardless of any observer or lack of an observer viewing it.
All lasers emit wavelengths/frequencies of photons and have output energy/power of a given wavelength expressed milliwatts or watts.
Color is not a physical property, it is merely the brain’s interpretation of different wavelengths of light.
Color names are words/symbols for that brain activity.

Have a look at the laser wavelengths list that CNI makes the majority of which are DPSS lasers. See:
https://www.cnilaser.com/index.htm

Last edited:
The question is mostly nonsensical.
You really need to study up on/get an education re: lasers in the real world, rather than just imaginings/imagination about lasers. You can't make any "colors" by taking the 808nm diode out of a DPSS 532nm laser.

Can a laser be made with a wavelength different from 532nm with an 808nm diode extracted a DPSS 532nm laser?
Yes, if you have the equipment, experience, knowledge, and skills of how to do + the mounting system needed, temperature control system needed, power control system needed, the crystal system needed and an 808nm diode powerful enough to pump the crystal system.
See explanation of several common wavelengths created with an 808nm pump diode here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode-pumped_solid-state_laser

You are confusing laser properties and characteristics with human visual system and perception properties, --apples and oranges different.
Wavelength is not color and color is not wavelength. Wavelengths have no "color".
Spectral power distributions of wavelengths exist in the physical world, but color exists only in the mind of the beholder.
A given wavelength of visible light has the same frequency regardless of any observer or lack of an observer viewing it.
All lasers emit wavelengths/frequencies of photons and have output energy/power of a given wavelength expressed milliwatts or watts.
Color is not a physical property, it is merely the brain’s interpretation of different wavelengths of light.
Color names are words/symbols for that brain activity.

Have a look at the laser wavelengths list that CNI makes the majority of which are DPSS lasers. See:
https://www.cnilaser.com/index.htm
you know what i meant. You spent a lot of effort.

Come on guys let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill

There are many reasons why swapping out the diode for another IR wavelength won’t achieve this.

The diode wavelength, the lasing crystal absorption bands, the output efficiency and lasing threshold of the absorption band. The emission line, and line competition. The phase matching angle and harmonic range of the harmonic crystal. The harmonic crystals efficiency at given emission line of lasing crystal. The AR coatings on the crystals and optics.

See 532nm DPSS are simple in construction and operation. But only because everything has been considered and designed to be so.

There are many reasons why swapping out the diode for another IR wavelength won’t achieve this.

The diode wavelength, the lasing crystal absorption bands, the output efficiency and lasing threshold of the absorption band. The emission line, and line competition. The phase matching angle and harmonic range of the harmonic crystal. The harmonic crystals efficiency at given emission line of lasing crystal. The AR coatings on the crystals and optics.

See 532nm DPSS are simple in construction and operation. But only because everything has been considered and designed to be so.
Ohhhh. Thanks for the answer man. I was doing math trying to find out if I could just swap out diodes and make other cool colors. I didnt know they made the crystal to have a threshold of light in both directions.

I figure I could get a diode I know to be 200-300mw and maybe thatl work or something. Id need more direct information. This is why I asked. Im doubting it would even be worth it to try anything

I wanted to make a 618nm laser from a 980nm infrared and thought putting one right in replacing the 808nm might do something.

I remember learning the crystals do something like add 256nm then frequency double to halve it. So 980+256=1236 \ 2 = 618nm. Perhaps a pipe dream unless I know the full properties of the crystals

Im guessing the real answer is, you need special crystals to do it and those arent the 532 crystals

Last edited:
after researching yag crystals, I found myself looking at 473nm frequency doubling crystals. Then looked up 690nm diodes for A THOUSAND DOLLARS

For the equation 690nm + 256 = 946nm \ 2 = 473nm *this is made up and wrong-------------

to who it may concern https://www.rp-photonics.com/yag_lasers.html

Last edited:
after researching yag crystals, I found myself looking at 473nm frequency doubling crystals. Then looked up 690nm diodes for A THOUSAND DOLLARS

For the equation 690nm + 256 = 946nm \ 2 = 473nm

to who it may concern https://www.rp-photonics.com/yag_lasers.html
You totally have not got the right idea of how dpss lasers work. I would advise you spend some time researching dpss lasers on the internet.

For 532nm, it doesn't just add a number, if it were that easy they'd be available already. What you want is a ti:sapphire laser, but those are prohibitively expensive as of the time this post is written, though there are recent advancements that might change things in the coming years.

Your typical 532nm DPSS pointer will use one of these two setups:

808nm -> nd:yag -> 1064nm -> ktp -> 532nm
808nm -> nd:yvo4 -> 1064nm -> ktp -> 532nm

808nm is most readily absorbed into those first nd: crystals, hence it is commonly used as the pump. For all intents and purposes, consider those crystals like you would a fluorescent / high vis yellow dye. Whether you put it under UV or blue light, it still fluoresces yellow. UV doesn't make it greener, and blue doesn't make it orange-er. Both ways, it's yellow. Similarly, those crystals have set wavelengths they "glow" with specific wavelengths when excited properly. I have a chart containing most wavelengths aka lines of those two here.

Next, the crystal has to be coated to allow 808nm in and select for the line you want to amplify, in this case 1064nm. Changing the pump will both be less efficient for the crystal, and it won't be coated for and the optical assembly will also be less efficient... and that's assuming alignment is perfect and it does anything at all.

Once you've selected an amplified a line, you can use a nonlinear crystal (ktp) to combine two photons into one, which doubles the frequency. Since C=λF, or the speed of light = wavelength * frequency, if you double frequency you have to half wavelength.

tl;dr, do some more research. This should be a pretty good starting point. Other processes exist, like we see used in the 545-574nm DPSS systems, though the crystals are easily damaged by oxygen and moisture in the air that you will likely destroy them before you can change a pump unless you know what you're doing.

For 532nm, it doesn't just add a number, if it were that easy they'd be available already. What you want is a ti:sapphire laser, but those are prohibitively expensive as of the time this post is written, though there are recent advancements that might change things in the coming years.

Your typical 532nm DPSS pointer will use one of these two setups:

808nm -> nd:yag -> 1064nm -> ktp -> 532nm
808nm -> nd:yvo4 -> 1064nm -> ktp -> 532nm

808nm is most readily absorbed into those first nd: crystals, hence it is commonly used as the pump. For all intents and purposes, consider those crystals like you would a fluorescent / high vis yellow dye. Whether you put it under UV or blue light, it still fluoresces yellow. UV doesn't make it greener, and blue doesn't make it orange-er. Both ways, it's yellow. Similarly, those crystals have set wavelengths they "glow" with specific wavelengths when excited properly. I have a chart containing most wavelengths aka lines of those two here.

Next, the crystal has to be coated to allow 808nm in and select for the line you want to amplify, in this case 1064nm. Changing the pump will both be less efficient for the crystal, and it won't be coated for and the optical assembly will also be less efficient... and that's assuming alignment is perfect and it does anything at all.

Once you've selected an amplified a line, you can use a nonlinear crystal (ktp) to combine two photons into one, which doubles the frequency. Since C=λF, or the speed of light = wavelength * frequency, if you double frequency you have to half wavelength.

tl;dr, do some more research. This should be a pretty good starting point. Other processes exist, like we see used in the 545-574nm DPSS systems, though the crystals are easily damaged by oxygen and moisture in the air that you will likely destroy them before you can change a pump unless you know what you're doing.
WOah :^D

Its so cool to hear about this stuff, I like knowing whats going on in the technical realm. The chart is exactly what I was imaging needing. I begin to fall apart doing research for too long and I think it could be seen in what I think I know.

Ok here we go…..
Crystals accept energy in certain wavelengths and phase matching sat specific temperatures and energy levels and can be made to interact with this pump energy in different ways. One is second harmonic which effectively doubles the energy resulting in higher frequency. Being careful how I say that it is not doubling that wavelength as that would be making less energetic light. So in a 532nm diode pumped solid state laser you have a a specific transition that converts the 808nm light with like 5nm variance to 1064nm ir light at temp in a 0.1c range Why 808 to 1064/ is a long answer. This 1064 is then doubled for lack of better words to 532nm. That’s all that phase matching and such. Read it it’s interesting.

The next one is sum and difference. This is incredibly inefficient, hard to align, it’s just hard. This can let you make other wavelengths but it needs POWER to get to the chi3 non linearities. And the angles the light hits the crystal and a lot mor3 have to super precise.

Read read and then read more. To do what you’d like to do you really need a colleague level class or years of experience. You can really hurt yourself at these power levels too. Sorry this beyond even me outside a clean room with very expensive positioning systems and tecs.
Skipped about a thousand things so guys don’t rip me I just wanted him to hear the words SHG and sum difference so he can google them.

Go learn it is fascinating. Don’t be intimidated by the math it is complex but approach it. You will need to learn linear algebra if you want to calculate non linear chi factors and such. The only point that counts is they exist and the susceptibilities as additive, non linear and only happen at high energy and when every thing energy, band gaps, phase matching, rystal cuts ect… line up.

If you want to play and are comfortable with laser safety you can get one of the pulsed q switched laser tree 1064 units and grow your own ktp crystal. There is enough energy to see shg and get greeen light. It isn’t a good laser but an expetiment. That laser is super super dangerous and IR so you can not see it. One pulse could make you blind. I suggest just read about it and b3 happy with that.

There are errors in my typing I’m not going fix them. Go read.

Back