Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

question about rpl 30mw blue

i intend on getting an RPL 400(green) and a 30mw RPL(blue) from optotronics, cause i hope to be getting alot of money soon, i'm just not sure about the blue laser, because i'm not sure about the beam visiblity.

till now my only high power laser was a senkat diode diy setup, and on that the beam was only visible looking right behind and right infront of the beam, i was wondering if thats also the case with blue lasers(at 30mw) and green ones too.

thnx, nata

Hey Natabata,

Well, better get goggles for the 400mw greenie, that thing will be nothing short of blind you bright. :eek:
Yes, you will see the beam in a well lit room w/ no problems, and probably outside in sunlight. My 200 is faintly visable in daylight. At night, brilliant, that's all you can say.
It can blind you. (not to mention the burn holes you put in things while just not paying attention while it is on- ;D)
Have you looked at Nova Lasers? They rank #1 around here and elsewhere. Their price can't be beat for what you get, and all their lasers are WAY overspec. If not them, then Opto is your next best bet I would say.
As for the 30mw Blue, I don't have alot of experience w/ that bright of a blue, but I would guess it would be very similar to your 150mw red, maybe a bit brighter, especially in darker conditions. Unfortunately, they don't make a killer 200mw blue yet in a portable.
Hope this helps, and I am sure others will chime on in with their input, so sit back and keep an eye on your page here.
Take care.
;)

Regards, Joe
Joenobody
[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Switch

Actually NOVA is #1 for pen-style lasers, a lot of members here have nova x-series and are very pleased with them.But I think you're making the right choice going with Optotronics for the RPL.I thinks there's a couple of reviews on their products in the Reviews section, only good things to say, just as advertised.Plus their giving a huge warranty period. ;)

darklandz said:
i think u meant to say that most novalasers are OVERspec!

Yep, good eye, my mistake, ment they perform way better than spec'd. (overspec) I will go edit that now.

Thanks!

Optotronics is awesome. You will be fine with them!
I can only say though, for your sake, please spend the extra $40 and get some goggles. Hell, spend $120 and get some spare pairs for those around you.

As for beam visibility, I would expect it to be around that of a 10mW green. Chief-eamonn recently reviewed his RPL blue 15, and it is fairly visible. Get it!!!

Things

Pseudonomen137 has 20mw> RPL blues, and cheaper than optotronics too i believe.

I recently bought an RPL Blue 15mw and its definetly alot brighter than a high powered red because its of a higher frequency it will tend to form a beam alot better, at night its easily noticable it can be viewed from almost any angle but dont bother comparing it to the 400mw green because it would loose! ;D

BlueFusion said:
Optotronics is awesome. You will be fine with them!
I can only say though, for your sake, please spend the extra $40 and get some goggles. Hell, spend $120 and get some spare pairs for those around you.
hehe i'm going to get about 5 goggles, i'm just wondering if 2.5 od+ is inough for a 400mw or if i should get the 6 od+ from novalasers.

also, there is a supposedly 600mw greenie from techlasers, is it true because i was thinking of getting that maybe

No it isnt 600mW... Techlasers are full of shit. They are essentially the same people as Wicked, and all their lasers are cheap Chinese imitations. Comparing a RPL to a Techlaser is like comparing a Ferrari Enzo to a Datsun 120i. ;D
I didn't realise Nova's goggles were so much higher OD. 6+ should be just about right for a 400mW, I personally wouldnt want anything less than about 4+ OD with 400mW.
ODs:
2=0.01%
3=0.001%
4=0.0001%
5=0.00001%
6=0.000001%
So at an OD of 2.5, you get approximately 2mW through. At an OD of 6, you get approximately 0.0004mW through.
Visibility may be lower, but in case of direct hit, I'd rather get hit with 0.0004mW than 2mW any day.
People can see the dots from ~150mW greens through Nova's shades (I think) so a 400mW should be no issue.

Nabata, I would suggest you also look into my Prometheus and Oceanus lasers. They are equivalents to the RPL series, built with the same parts and by the same maufacturers. Feel free to send me an e-mail at pseudonomen137@gmail.com or give me a call at +1 972 5356177 and we can discuss the advantages/disadvantages to a blue laser, and hopefully offer you a good deal!

natabata said:
i intend on getting an RPL 400(green) and a 30mw RPL(blue) from optotronics, cause i hope to be getting alot of money soon, i'm just not sure about the blue laser, because i'm not sure about the beam visiblity.

till now my only high power laser was a senkat diode diy setup, and on that the beam was only visible looking right behind and right infront of the beam, i was wondering if thats also the case with blue lasers(at 30mw) and green ones too.

thnx, nata
Hi Nata,
Good choice,
If you're planning on getting both of these lasers, I can offer you a good deal on the pair. We can offer a free upgrade of the RPL-30 to >40mW RPL-blue, an RPL-400 that will average 425mW minimum and free 18 month extended warranty on both of them.
This offer is only for this pair (for now). If lower price is more important that higher power or an extended warranty, contact us and we can quote lower prices for any models with reduced warranty coverage periods of 30, 60, 90 or 180 days as well.

Thanks
Jack