Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about O-Like module

tr4252

Gentlemen,

I'm building some prototypes for industrial applications, and have been using the internal parts of inexpensive laser pointers picked up at local dollar stores. Either through luck or ignorance, fortunately, they've been useful for what I'm doing.

The good points about these are; small size, low cost, availability (for now), simplicity, and ease of use. I merely have to project a dot of light, the smaller the better, from tools I build, in order to set up machinery.

The shortcomings are numerous; the laser pointers I've bought are very inconsistant, are made with crude components, and of course, the main thing is that the supply is, in my opinion, probably as reliable as the surplus market (not very).

Since I joined this forum, just days ago, I've been looking at alternatives, and happened upon the units sold by O-Like shown below. They are listed as product #OLRLM05. Can anyone tell me if they would be useful for my purpose? I like the compact size, and the price; 10 units for $25.00, and hope they would be of better quality than what I'm using. Any suggestions on more appropriate products?

Also, are there any domestic suppliers for this or like products?

Thank you,
Tom

Attachments

• 8mm red laser .jpg
    8mm red laser .jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

strik3

Exactly what are you using them for? That what we can help you a bit more. As it's hard to figure out what you need them for

tr4252

Sorry for the ommission, thanks for answering.

I've built a gizmo to facilitate the set up of a CNC mill. It's based on the principle seen in the old movie Dam Busters, where the brilliant skip-bomb guy had an epiphany at the theatre (if you believe everything you see in movies), and realized that two fixed lights, mounted at angles, would provide an accurate altitude fix when the spots converged on the surface of the water they intended to fly over. Whether this is true or not, I've remembered it for about 40 years and meant to someday use the idea.

The cheap lasers I'm using (4, actually) are working really well to align 2 points at a reliable, repeatable distance. Too bad I'm so uninformed as to what's available, though, and am searching for a better alternative.

I'm mainly interested in projecting a small spot of light, because the resolution is best that way. So far, the dollar store lasers can be (focused?) down to a pinprick about .030" or so, which works pretty good. I would like to find a reliable source for laser modules which would be a step up from what I'm currently using. Small module size, common (I'm using 3 AG13 button cells) power supply, and the smallest "dot" projected are what I'm after.

And it would be nice if the guys in the shop thought I was smart, and dollar store components don't equate to "smart" where I work.

Thank you,
Tom

Last edited: