Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about jet lasers ple mini 1 watt 520nm

A
Yeah I havent really been able to use my first high power laser hardly at all yet because I don't have any glasses. I have a 3 watt 445nm striker saber from sanwu and I honestly was shocked at the power of it the first time I turned it on. I have never owned anything above 150 - 200 mW before so when I first turned on my 3 watt 445nm laser it actually frightened me and I knew right away that it is just stupid to even attempt to use it without eye protection. I'm trying to find a fairly good deal on glasses that will protect between 405nm and 680nm and around 5 watts because this is the range of wavelengths that I intend on collecting. I really have no use for lasers in the non visible spectrum unless I plan on buying a laser cnc cutter with a C02 laser

AFAIK --good luck finding 5W of anything except blue- max 405 is under 2W.. and no reds in that power-
question ---WHY did you buy a powerful laser and NOT already have eye protection in hand.??
Most here wear them only on rare occasions- like doing the divergence measurement or putting the dot on a LPM sensor--

By avoiding holding any laser horizontally at all times the chance of getting a shot in the eye is extremely low.

We must be aware of mirrors-windows etc with reflective surfaces.. but the reflection is not as dangerous as a straight shot.

It is impossible to get a hit more than .25 seconds.. as you will close your eyes or block with hand or look away.

Exception may be when on angel dust or PCP ..

be careful PLEASE

Yeah my 7 watt NUBM44 build literally lit by bed frame on fire. It really dark hard wood and it smoked and then a pink plasma flame lit up and then an orange flame literally started crawling up the side of the headboard until I blew it out. Never seen that happened before. Usually the flame goes out when u shut the laser off.. not this time lol

Epic! How do you like the 520nm? Epic beamage yes?

I have a dark wood chair...and I scarred it last night. The huge volume of smoke in about a 1/4 second
was hilarious. I have seen the flame too...and it self extinguished...thank God.

I have a cover on one of my big ham radios. It has several holes in it along the side (thank goodness the radio was ok)

Last edited:
A

AFAIK --good luck finding 5W of anything except blue- max 405 is under 2W.. and no reds in that power-
question ---WHY did you buy a powerful laser and NOT already have eye protection in hand.??
Most here wear them only on rare occasions- like doing the divergence measurement or putting the dot on a LPM sensor--

By avoiding holding any laser horizontally at all times the chance of getting a shot in the eye is extremely low.

We must be aware of mirrors-windows etc with reflective surfaces.. but the reflection is not as dangerous as a straight shot.

It is impossible to get a hit more than .25 seconds.. as you will close your eyes or block with hand or look away.

Exception may be when on angel dust or PCP ..

be careful PLEASE
I wasn't talking about lasers over 5 watts I know 445 is the only thing above 5 watts for hand held and I ordered glasses they just took longer to get than expected I didnt use any of the lasers until I got eye protection except once yo make sure it worked when I recieved it I was talking about glasses that were rated to block 5 watts of optical output

Epic! How do you like the 520nm? Epic beamage yes?

I have a dark wood chair...and I scarred it last night. The huge volume of smoke in about a 1/4 second
was hilarious. I have seen the flame too...and it self extinguished...thank God.

I have a cover on one of my big ham radios. It has several holes in it along the side (thank goodness the radio was ok)
Yeah I love the 520. Unfortunately I haven't gotten to use it to much because I'm back in the hospital. But nothing comes even close to the power of the 7 watt. It's actually scary. You can literally press the momentary button on it for a half a second or less and it will burn a hole fairly deep in cardboard

EDIT: I did manage to sneak my 405nm 500mW Sanwu pocket in here with me tho

I have never wanted one of the monster 445nm lasers because they were too scary for me.
I went 465nm because it would look brighter than 445nm to my eye. Even so, 3.4 watts is
serious power. I imagine that 7 watt monster is even more scary!

On the upside, you are the king of burning! Enjoy!

I like beam viewing the greens into the night sky. I discovered I see 505nm as brighter than all other
wavelengths. My inexpensive 50mw 505nm lasers are really fun. The 520nm beasts are less fun, because of the
precautions I have to take.

I should add I am sorry you are in the hospital. I hope you get well soon.
Best wishes fellow photonics enthusiast!

That's strange because 555nm is the brightest wavelength to the human eye so the closer u get to 555 the brighter it is so 520 and 535 should be much brighter to your eye than 505 of similar power

You must mean 532nm as that is Nd doped YVO4 or YAG and frequency doubled from 1064nm to 532nm.

okay-oops my bad..
Those glasses should give you plenty of protection. AND TBH I already had a few lasers before I got really good ones.
AND while the good ones do cost a lot--what kind of $$ do I put on an eye or two. Actually losing 100 % vision in an eye is extremely rare.
More people at concerts get injury by falls or having something fall on them. They say if the afterimages do not go away after a few hours -- then its time to see an eye doctor. I have never seen them more than a few minutes and have been exposed to lots of high power projectors etc at LEMs or around here.

The lady ranger at BMan lost partial in one eye and completely blind in the other... she was intentionally looking at the a55hat with the 532- said to be 100 to 250 mW. He had been lasing people and then running off- and doing that again & again . there was 85,000 people at BM -- Its believed that he was intentionally aiming at her from some distance. There is a go-fund me for Ranger Kelli I heard that since she was a volunteer there is not going to be any help for her from BM which makes a ton of profit.

I do , however, know that someone can be killed if a laser causes an car accident.

go here to read about what happen when a laser is used illegally.

laserpointersafety.org
One of my biggest fears is the possibility that a member/friend I know ends up at LPS.
A common thing during sentenance phase is being told that you may never be allowed to own another laser.

okay-oops my bad..
Those glasses should give you plenty of protection. AND TBH I already had a few lasers before I got really good ones.
AND while the good ones do cost a lot--what kind of $$ do I put on an eye or two. Actually losing 100 % vision in an eye is extremely rare.
More people at concerts get injury by falls or having something fall on them. They say if the afterimages do not go away after a few hours -- then its time to see an eye doctor. I have never seen them more than a few minutes and have been exposed to lots of high power projectors etc at LEMs or around here.

The lady ranger at BMan lost partial in one eye and completely blind in the other... she was intentionally looking at the a55hat with the 532- said to be 100 to 250 mW. He had been lasing people and then running off- and doing that again & again . there was 85,000 people at BM -- Its believed that he was intentionally aiming at her from some distance. There is a go-fund me for Ranger Kelli I heard that since she was a volunteer there is not going to be any help for her from BM which makes a ton of profit.

I do , however, know that someone can be killed if a laser causes an car accident.

go here to read about what happen when a laser is used illegally.

laserpointersafety.org
One of my biggest fears is the possibility that a member/friend I know ends up at LPS.
A common thing during sentenance phase is being told that you may never be allowed to own another laser.
Yeah well people are idiots who do irresponsible things with lasers eventually the technology is going to develop to a point where there is going to be some serious power in hand held lasers. Ask anyone if 10 years ago if they thought they would ever see 7 watts in a hand held powered by batteries. Eventually we are going to need to develop water cooling jackets for the diodes or something and once we get up to 20, 30, or 50 watts in a hand held they are going to be considered deadly weapons and that's when I think we will see legislation to prevent the average consumer from buying or owning lasers of high power any more. As for the idiots shining them in peoples eyes or at cars and planes they are just going to end up ruining it for all us responsible users. Another messed up thing I have been seeing more and more of is kiosks and websites offering 532 nm lasers as a defense weapon. They are actually marketing it to be shined in an attacker's eyes and even have some with tasers built in. They do make Dazzlers but they are not focused into a tight beam they are spread out more like a flashlight and they flash very fast. But the ones being marketed as defense items are just straight laser 303s which is incredibly dangerous, irresponsible, and should be illegal.