Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Q: For the blue/blu-ray members

Ace82 said:
I think that color blind men (females don't get color blind, right?)

Genetics! Woo!

More men are colour blind than women, but there are colour blind women. And I'm gonna explain why :)

In men, our sex chromosomes, we have an X and a Y chromosome. XY.
In women, they have two X sex chromosomes. XX.

Now the gene for colour blindness is recessive. Dominant genes will always be expressed in preference to recessive genes, and as colour blindness is recessive, the 'good colour vision' gene will always be expressed in preference if there is competition.

The colour blindness gene is found on the X chromosome. Women have 2 of these, men have 1. If a man gets a colour blindness gene, he will always go colour blind since there is no other X chromosome to cover it. But as women have 2 X chromosomes, if they have a colour blindness gene, then the 'good colour vision' gene on the other X chromosome will dominate over it and the women will see fine.

A women will only go colour blind if she has two recessive 'colour blind' genes, one on each X chromosome. And as you might be able to figure out, the chances of that happening are much slimmer than just getting one, like as per a man :)

I study genetics at university as part of my Immunology major, so yeah. That's why you get a lecture :) I could go on all day about the genetics of sex chromosomes, it's fascinating stuff :)

Ace82

Murudai said:
[quote author=Ace82 link=1218536569/0#12 date=1218749140]I think that color blind men (females don't get color blind, right?)

Genetics! Woo!

More men are colour blind than women, but there are colour blind women. And I'm gonna explain why :)

In men, our sex chromosomes, we have an X and a Y chromosome. XY.
In women, they have two X sex chromosomes. XX.

Now the gene for colour blindness is recessive. Dominant genes will always be expressed in preference to recessive genes, and as colour blindness is recessive, the 'good colour vision' gene will always be expressed in preference if there is competition.

The colour blindness gene is found on the X chromosome. Women have 2 of these, men have 1. If a man gets a colour blindness gene, he will always go colour blind since there is no other X chromosome to cover it. But as women have 2 X chromosomes, if they have a colour blindness gene, then the 'good colour vision' gene on the other X chromosome will dominate over it and the women will see fine.

A women will only go colour blind if she has two recessive 'colour blind' genes, one on each X chromosome. And as you might be able to figure out, the chances of that happening are much slimmer than just getting one, like as per a man :)

I study genetics at university as part of my Immunology major, so yeah. That's why you get a lecture :) I could go on all day about the genetics of sex chromosomes, it's fascinating stuff :)[/quote]

I remember that teaching in biology, which was 11 years ago...

And yeah, genetics are very interesting, being able to understand codes and predict the future...somewhat.

But what about the color blindness gene itself? Is there more sensitive colors that are lost over others like blue/violet or is it completely random?

Ace82 said:
My 225 HAS to me more like 300 now after my 3hr special touch! You would think that they would be optimal from the factory... ::)

Isn't that the best feeling? :D

Hey, nice work! My RPL-300 could do with a touch up like that.

Are ya gonna write a tutorial on how to do that? ;D

It's not that hard actually just a PIA to complete.

First thing that affects you is the time, you have to wait for the assembly and laser to cool off after its duty cycle is over (it ends really quickly when your doing something like this :-/).

Second thing is brightness, I didn't have such a problem with this as it is a 473nm laser an inherently of a lower power. You on the other hand would have 300+mw's of green shooting out, and it isn't as uncollimated as one would think, across a smaller room the "dot" is around 15-20cm's across. I guess it would depend on the OD of your glasses, but even then when it comes to fine tunning you wouldn't be able to see the little bits on the sides of the circle that one must get rid off.

Then all you are left with is making sure it its a nice circle (you get some extreme TEMs aligning), and that it is as bright as you can make it, this is the PIA, as output is relativelly unstable on a blue rpl until warmed up at which point you are not left with a lot of time. Add to this the fact that the alignment is altered a tiny bit when you tighten the screws and you have a couple of hours work. But in the end at least in my case it was all worth it.

I added some arctic silver between the crystal assembly and diode assembly, it's helping the crystaly warm to peak efficiency faster (IMO, for what thats worth). But, the laser is quite a bit more powerful now, as far as beam visiblity and dot brightness I am waiting to get myself an LPM, to see what this means in actual mw, not percieved brightness.

Thanks
brtaman

So is there just a bunch of screws and stuff in there you use to adjust the alignment?

That doesn't sound so hard... famous last words, lol

Actually there is only 4 screws :D The crystal assembly is one piece glued/screwed together. All you move is the crystal assembly. so only 2 axes of movement. I'll look for a picture ace made of when he was alligning his, i'll update the post.

*update* Picture copyright of Ace82@LPF ;D

laser_guts.JPG

Just remember, that there is always the risk of it not being as good as it was before. Based on my xp this wasn't the case and I believe the same goes for ace's RPL. I don't want you to bust up your rpl just because I got good results from it, but based on your xp with lasers I don't see how it could go to worse, though. Just pointing it out.

Thanks
brtaman